Two German divers drown at Gran Cenote Kalimba at Tulum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I already have the map but i dont know what they mean with T-Crossing.
There is only one permanent "T" in the area of the dive, and it is where the Kalimba line meets the main line from Paso de Lagarto. That is where they left their stages, I believe. And as far as I can tell from the preliminary report, they never made it back there, so the T had nothing to do with the incident. And besides, that T is exceptionally well marked. Big, bold letters indicating the directions to Kalimba and Grand Cenote.

People have mentioned there are some difficult jumps, but they’re not Ts. I’m still unclear as to the dive plan.

There will be a final report within a reasonable timeframe. There are some more pieces to the puzzle already and once the technical examination of the gear is done I'll write it up.

When will there be the final report and have you seen the whole dive on tape?

I have made the Calimba / Gran Cenote run a number of times over the past 18 years. Never thought of it as a complex dive in any manner. As with any cave dive it does take thought/planning and there is always room for error. My prayers for their families. Mark

When will there be the final report and have you seen the whole dive on tape?

We need a technical evaluation of tanks and regs to complete it fully. This is in the hands of mexican police which means it could be tomorrow, in three months or never. Without it some very large question marks will remain so we'll wait until we know if we can get it or not. I have seen the clips from the dive but it's clips and it only covers parts of the first two thirds of the dive. It was used to set the timeline but it doesn't answer what ultimately did happen.

I understand the need to answer the question of gear failure. Was the last 1/3 of the dive on video?
For me the most interesting question is how the initial navigational error, i.e., turning towards Grand instead of Kalimba when coming out of Mutch's happened. Was the arrow properly cancelled with a cookie or REM, or did they forget to do that and set themselves up for the mistake upon return? A mistake others can learn from?
And my second question is whether anything can be reconstructed about what happened when they reached the Paso de Lagarto end of line. Did they turn around, and came back later because at first they thought this was really an end, and not a long jump. If that happened, I would advocate for extending the line there so that the other side of the jump is visible to avoid future problems there.

We need a technical evaluation of tanks and regs to complete it fully. This is in the hands of mexican police which means it could be tomorrow, in three months or never. Without it some very large question marks will remain so we'll wait until we know if we can get it or not. I have seen the clips from the dive but it's clips and it only covers parts of the first two thirds of the dive. It was used to set the timeline but it doesn't answer what ultimately did happen.

Thanks for the comprehensive report so far! Just wondering if more data (from dive computers, tanks, ...) has come to light that helps to explain more?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom