Two German divers drown at Gran Cenote Kalimba at Tulum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the comprehensive report so far! Just wondering if more data (from dive computers, tanks, ...) has come to light that helps to explain more?

We have everything we need now from the technical examination. I'll sit down in a few days and finish the report and then Kim will revise it. Should be done sometime in march pending other engagements that need to take precedence.

We have everything we need now from the technical examination. I'll sit down in a few days and finish the report and then Kim will revise it. Should be done sometime in march pending other engagements that need to take precedence.

Thank you for your service to the community.

I'm wondering if it's gonna be released in March.

I appreciate all you did on this matter, and the outstanding reporting early on. Now that you have all the data, may I still hope for a final report to bring some closure to this? I understand how other more pressing things pop up, but I hope you can still find the time to get the final report out. Thanks for all you have done!

aren't most cenote dives led by dive masters? I am new and curious. It seems dangerous to let tourists in to just go exploring if there are mazes. How to the guidelines work? I wanted to dive the cenotes near Cancun but not at a high risk like this.
This is why taking a Cavern class before you go into one, even with a dive master, is so stinking important. Don't fall for the "trust me" dives. That's where you fully rely on your guide for your safety. Learn it right. Don't shortcut the training.

This is why taking a Cavern class before you go into one, even with a dive master, is so stinking important. Don't fall for the "trust me" dives. That's where you fully rely on your guide for your safety. Learn it right. Don't shortcut the training.
How long does a cavern class take, what is the approximate cost and do you teach it?

How long does a cavern class take, what is the approximate cost and do you teach it?
There are two types of cavern courses. One is taught in single-tank backmount, and it gives you that additional safety cushion so if your DM goes poof on you while on a cenote tour you will know what to do, am driving what not to do.
Then there are cavern courses that are the first step to cave certification, which are taught in a technical configuration, i.e., sidemount or backmounted doubles. Provided that you are proficient in that configuration, they typically run four days and cost around $250 or a bit higher per day. If you use them as a substitute for an intro tech course and need to learn diving a technical rig, add at least a day.
Finally, let me point out that this accident had nothing to do with cavern tours. It was a dive at the stage cave level, and the divers were qualified to do the dive and knew the cave. And that’s what so disconcerting about the accident, at least for me.

One of the best courses I ever took was a cavern course @ Ginnie Springs. It opened my eyes to the potential dangers present in an overhead environment. Don't let the word cavern fool you. It can be dangerous on its own and divers need to be trained.

Yes before cenotes I will do the intro single tank backmount course. And stay only in the tourist areas that use DMs. The full cavern class multi day in sidemount isnt for me just yet.

Cavern is typically 2 or 3 days. It's primarily a recreational safety course that can be done in single tank recreational configuration (with a few minor modifications), but the material lays the groundwork for future overhead training -- there's a lot of overlap Cavern and the first two days of a "Cave 1" type program.

IMHO, it can be one of the best courses you ever take, depending on the instructor and format.

Back
Top Bottom