Two missing on submerged Great Wall - China

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK I'll detach the reel from my BCD D-ring & just put it in my BCD pocket then. Be ready to let the reel go if the SMB get pulled up hard & started to drag me out to the surface.

You never ever never never never ever attach the real or spool of a smb that is inflated or during inflation anywhere to your BCD also not anywhere else! During a stop the spool is floating information front of you and u hold the line between two fingers to be able to instantly let go any time...
Haiyan und Sun As Gue divers definitely would have handled it that way that's why in case of any situation arising, increased task load, managing problems with loop, bailout, doing loop flushes... The smb would haven been left go immediately that's why it could also just be picked up from shoreline...

One search team diver has revealed some details on a Chinese question-and-answer website:
1) A SMB was spotted around 3:00pm @ Sep 6, there was a boat passing and staying, then the SMB disappeared. The surface support crew did not do their best, in his opinion, despite the difficulties to stay just above the CCR divers.
2) After 10 days' searching without locating the missing divers and their family announced a reward for relevant information @ Sep 16,that night a fisherman reported seeing a SMB on another fisherman's boat @ Sep 6,then the SMB was found later at the other fisherman's home with Haiyan's name initials on the spool (or reel? same main word in Chinese).
3) The family of missing divers and dive team members never openly blame electrofishing, this matter is under investigation lead by local police now.
4) Both of them quickly dropped to 60+ meters while doing deco, one of them was even close to the surface.
5) There are many types of electrofishing devices in China.

And according to another project team diver, they are consulting with manufacturers of JJ-CCR & Shearwater too.

There are some other details I have not translated, I still suggest waiting for formal reports.

Last edited:
OK I'll detach the reel from my BCD D-ring & just put it in my BCD pocket then. Be ready to let the reel go if the SMB get pulled up hard & started to drag me out to the surface.
My home dive bud did that with his brand new Smb & reel, then lost it when he left the pocket open or reached for something else. Mine is attached until I use it, then I unclip it to hold when I deploy.

My home dive bud did that with his brand new Smb & reel, then lost it when he left the pocket open or reached for something else. Mine is attached until I use it, then I unclip it to hold when I deploy.

Yeah, that's better way.

The one refer to GUE headquarter near the end?

GUE distanced itself from the great wall project in a press statement. They expressed their condolences and offered to help in the clarification of the circumstances that caused the incident if needed. They confirmed that the two divers were trained by Gue on various levels but not Gue rebreather certified and said the divers were acting on their own behalf and volounteered to donate the collected data to the project baseline database.

Also the Chinese government had a press release clearly stating that the activities were not authorized and therefore not in compliance with the heritage protection laws that clearly prohibit unauthorized work on historic monuments like the great wall.

Last edited:
GUE distanced itself from the great wall project in a press statement. They expressed their condolences and offered to help in the clarification of the circumstances that caused the incident if needed. They confirmed that the two divers were trained by Gue on various levels but not Gue rebreather certified and said the divers were acting on their own behalf and volounteered to donate the collected data to the project baseline database.

Also the Chinese government had a press release clearly stating that the activities were not authorized and therefore not in compliance with the heritage protection laws that clearly prohibit unauthorized work on historic monuments like the great wall.
Thank you very much for the clarification.
So GUE has nothing to do whatsoever with the dive.

Have you seen the GUEhq's official press release? I just found some sentences in Chinese reported by a Chinese media. Often, it is not the whole story. But it is better the GUEhq distanced itself from the project now, IMO. Not only for the good of GUEhq, but also for the good of "GUE China". There are already accusations by some Chinese netizens call them "spies working for foreign organisation".

Haiyan talked about the project at Asia Dive Expo Bejing just before they went to Panjiakou, some audience said she mentioned sort of local government consent there. But I was neither in that Expo nor in the project, I do not know the details. Normally it is a grey area in China, if everything goes smoothly, it is all ok, if not ... you have already mentioned something before.

Above things are not really relevant to the accident itself, IMO.

Last edited:
At least GUE china can confirm that the female diver was certified or NOT to use a JJ rebreather. GUE china and may be sinoscuba has a lot to answer in this accident especially on dive plan.

How could the surface support personnel not notice that the smb had gone missing? How difficult it is to follow a floating object on flat surface?

What is the state of the 'recovered" smb? Was the line cut or everything is there(spool/reel etc etc)?

Last edited:
Have you seen the GUEhq's official press release? I just found some sentences in Chinese reported by a Chinese media. Often, it is not the whole story. But it is better the GUEhq distanced itself from the project now, IMO. Not only for the good of GUEhq, but also for the good of "GUE China". There are already accusations by some Chinese netizens call them "spies working for foreign organisation".

Haiyan talked about the project at Asia Dive Expo Bejing just before they went to Panjiakou, some audience said she mentioned sort of local government consent there. But I was neither in that Expo nor in the project, I do not know the details. Normally it is a grey area in China, if everything goes smoothly, it is all ok, if not ... you have already mentioned something before.

Above things are not really relevant to the accident itself, IMO.
Can someone post/link to whatever GUE released?

Additionally, was the recovered SMB attached to a reel or spool? What was their gas situation?

Back
Top Bottom