Two New England pioneers pass away: John Baldi & Frank Sanger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Lev

Contributor
Reaction score
I recently heard that John Baldi of South shore divers and Frank Sanger of New England Divers have passed away. Any divers in there 50's or older from the Boston or New England area will know who these guys were. Jonh had the first dive shop in all New England and one of the first in the country South Shore Divers Started in 1950. Frank worked at New England divers for the late Jim Cahill and was known for his great diving ability. Especially for a guy with one leg and one arm.Frank later became president of Parkway. There is so much I can say about each one. Frank is in the book Diary of the Depths. A great read. John was a great and funny guy. He was working at his former shop when I met him repairing regs in his early 80's then. Two great pioneers that will be missed.

I'd been to NE divers back in the 80's I think. They had a super cooled air fill system filled a 72 steel in about 1 min @2300psi cool to the touch!

I never met these guys sounds like were the real deal. RIP

Last edited:
AfterDark: Both men were definitely the "real deal" I worked at Parkways in South Amboy, NJ when Frank Sanger was the Pres.

Jim Cahill from the old NEW ENGLAND DIVERS was another legend. He was veteran of the original Seal Teams from WW2. The cold NE waters
produced a lot of good pro's. Frank Scalli another great "Lobstah" diver.

It was said back in the day if you can dive New England you can dive anywhere. I've always found that to be true. Never dove anywhere more challenging then our own home waters.

AfterDark: Both men were definitely the "real deal" I worked at Parkways in South Amboy, NJ when Frank Sanger was the Pres.

Jim Cahill from the old NEW ENGLAND DIVERS was another legend. He was veteran of the original Seal Teams from WW2. The cold NE waters
produced a lot of good pro's. Frank Scalli another great "Lobstah" diver.

I worked for Frank and Jim in the late 70’s early 80’s as a Regional Manager for NED. Great men, great teachers, amazing characters. Still in the business spreading the love for the game. facebook.com/diamondreefsystem

Jim Cahill from the old NEW ENGLAND DIVERS was another legend. He was veteran of the original Seal Teams from WW2.

In the service of accuracy, in WWII he would have been a frogman in the UDT ( Underwater Demolition Team). The SEALs were not started until '62, although a few men served in both units. Same job, different name.

It's sad to see the old guard go.

Bob

In the service of accuracy, in WWII he would have been a frogman in the UDT ( Underwater Demolition Team). The SEALs were not started until '62, although a few men served in both units. Same job, different name.

It's sad to see the old guard go.

Bob
The SEALs are "....sons of the UDT" as one of their cadence calls go. Although these days it would be Great-Grandsons of the UDT but that doesn't have the same flow. :wink:

produced a lot of good pro's. Frank Scalli another great "Lobstah" diver

I remember Jim now that you've connect the him with NE divers. He also may have been a speaker at one of the meeting's I attended in Boston back in the 80's. I didn't start diving Rockport until the 80's. My diving domain during the late 60's and 70's was Newport, Little Compton, RI. and Westport MA.

I do have "A Divers Guide to Cape Ann" produced by Fred Calhoun and Chris Christense. Do those names ring a bell? I picked it up at one of those meeting's in Boston back in 1982. The guide contains 65 dive sites around Cape Ann broken down into shores dives and boat only dives. Very well produced and still useful today.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom