Two rescues yesterday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharpenu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Rescue One was a two year old in a swimming pool. He is in the ICU and is not expected to make it. Not a good scene.

Rescue Two was a 64 year old boater that fell into the lake and could not swim. He was in around 10 feet of water about 30 feet from shore and did not have a PFD. Bystanders were attempting to throw him one, but would not enter the water due to a 5-6 foot alligator nearby. When the call came in, my partner and I were 3 blocks away and got there within 3 minutes. I kicked off my shoes, phone and radio and entered the water, literally as he went under. I was able to hold his head above water until more units arrived. They were able to assist me in pulling him out. We transported him to the ER, where he later thanked me. His wife met us there, and she cried. That is why we get into this business, isn't it?

sharpenu:
Rescue One was a two year old in a swimming pool. He is in the ICU and is not expected to make it. Not a good scene.

People were there to call you, but didn't jump in themselves? I commend you and your work, but wonder why some folks don't just take action themselves...Maybe nobody at the pool swam? Hmmmm

sharpenu:
Rescue Two was a 64 year old boater that fell into the lake and could not swim. He was in around 10 feet of water about 30 feet from shore and did not have a PFD. Bystanders were attempting to throw him one, but would not enter the water due to a 5-6 foot alligator nearby. When the call came in, my partner and I were 3 blocks away and got there within 3 minutes. I kicked off my shoes, phone and radio and entered the water, literally as he went under. I was able to hold his head above water until more units arrived. They were able to assist me in pulling him out. We transported him to the ER, where he later thanked me. His wife met us there, and she cried. That is why we get into this business, isn't it?

Nice!

Sounds like you did good on both. If the little one isn't gone yet there is still hope, wierd things happen.

Just remember to debrief and let it out.

As far as the old guy goes. Why are people so fricken stuppid?

Good job.

Gary D.

Very good. I saved a young one a long time ago. The kid is now about 6 ft 3 in, 23 years old and doing pretty well, he's the same age as my son and was a neighbor back then. His problem was stupid parents, but then again, he did make it this far.

I had four drownings in one very bad week in about 1989. Heat wave and everyone was in the water. The worst one was a gal who just decided to end it all by walking into the river, with a cop standing there. He did nothing to stop her. I got there and this cop tells me exactly where she went in at. I asked why he didn't do anything and he turned his back on me and walked away. DART diver gets there and after hearing what I told him was just chewing out the cop too. Since this was the Sacramento river with a strong current and lots of snags, at night, I figured she was way downstream by the time I got there. DART walks into the water and is back out 15 seconds later, she was still there! I slaped the monitor on her and she was in V-fib. Told my partner to start CPR due to the fact that I didn't want us all to get defibbed by all the water. Two chest compressions later, she converts to NSR! Good pulse and BP. I was shocked! TWO COMPRESSIONS!...Declaired brain dead the next day and was unpluged and died. Young mother, very sad....Id just like to know what that cop was thinking?

Sharp great story on the second one, sad on the first. In 1997 it was my first yr working in the fire department. We had a 6 yr little girl that drowned in a neighbors pool. I'll never forget that call. I guess that's why I'm adimitt in not having a pool in my home and teaching my son how to swim when he is old enough.

This is my first chance to update in a while, as we have been busy with the hurrican eaftermath. The child, I am sad to say, died last week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom