Two Servers are better than one...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

D_B:
OK, so who's turn is it to be my server? ; )

I can serve, who's going to "bump, set, spike?" :eyebrow:
Ber :lilbunny:

Land Locked:
Veiled reference to the culprits of the crashes??? :D :rofl3:

Hey now you just wait a second Mr. Dork Diver. . . . It isn't our fault. . . It is Almity's fault. . . She did it. . . Not us. . . I swear!!!!

Just out of curriousity, can you tell us what software you are running. There are a few of us on the board who are certified geeks that might be able to make some suggestions on how to set things up better. There is some new technologies that can do some amazing things, and many of them are built into the products, so you don't need to pay for them.

Besides, I haven't seen anything before on what the configuration of the servers are and I'm currious.

yeah, you could post some hw & sw specs... dedicated DB server won't help much if it's not highly available by itself (basically you get 2 of them in a cluster with shared storage or 2 of them in cluster with DB replication - depends on which DB you run)

Dead on about the database. There are also some other techniques that can be used as well. A lot of it depends on which software and how you are architected. For instance, it may make sense to put money into the database server and make it redundant. But the main cost comes from the storage because it needs to be redundant too.

If the web front ends can be spanned across more than one box you can go with low end boxes and just add more as you need them. Its frequently less expensive and if one dies or needs to be taken down for maintenance its no big deal. If you are doing Windows you might be able to use something called NLB for the load balancing. Its not all that great compared to a hardware load balancer, but its included in the OS.

If you give us some idea of what you are running we can you some thoughts.

Let me know if I can help... I am a senior systems engineer among other things....

two dual xeon servers with .75TB and 4 Gigs Ram, each.

CentOS, MySql & PHP as a Base to run vBulletin, Openads, Photopost and (soon) VBDrupal.

There is a third server with the exact specs that we are developing the server on.

Dual Gig NICS on a GIG switch and with a firewall between us and the world. One NIC is NATed and the other NIC talks only on our private network to our other servers.

As I noted in another thread, we need someone who is very conversant with vBDrupal. Please send your resume' to Support@ScubaBoard.com for consideration.

tep:
Hooray! Thanks for resurrecting The Board...

But.... in case no one noticed... the "Latest Threads" on the main web page haven't updated for quite a while.

Everything else seems to back to normal.

Yeah sysadmins!

Oops. Looks like the front page isn't updating again :-(

As a 27-yr sysadmin, let me say: "All software sucks. Always has, always will. You just choose the suckiness that you can live with."

And vBulletin *still* "sucks less" than almost all the others!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom