TX/ATX 100/50/40 [New guy alert]

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaBob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK, I've read about as much as I can find, and I think I've got it figured out....

I'd like to buy some regs. that I won't have to replace for a long time.

I've decided that rather than change somewhere down the line, I'll adopt Hogarthian style rigs right from the start.

From most what I've gathered here and on a few other sites, either Scubapro or Apeks seem to be the regs of choice.

I'm kinda leaning toward the Apeks (for no particular reason), and need a little advice regarding models.

Since I'm in the market for three sets (wife and son just certified) the price is definitely a factor.

From what I've gleaned....

1. the TX and the ATX models are very similar. ATX are a little smaller and some find a little more bubble interference.

2. 20/40 series vs 50/100/200 series second stages are similar but the 20/40's are not diver adjustable.

3. TX50(DS4???) vs TX100(Flathead??) first stages are shaped slightly different. Some find the TX100 hose routing a little easier. Similar good performance.

Given these assumptions, I'm considering getting the DS4s with TX50s on a long hoses and ATX40s as backup regs.

I haven't seen anything that justifies the extra cost for the 100's / 200's, and I figure having a slightly smaller and non adjustable backup should be alright.

Am I close? Comments? Suggestions?

AquaBob once bubbled...

I'm considering getting the DS4s with TX50s on a long hoses and ATX40s as backup regs.

SOunds like a good plan...

Go for it...

You might want to at least LOOK at an ATX-50 compared to the TX-50...

if i had to do it again, i would buy all DS4/TX50 combos. for backgas, deco, stages, etc. if you want to spend a little more, go for the ATX50. to me they are almost the same but the ATX cost quite a bit more.

if you wanted to spend a little less, you might get the TX40/ATX40 second stages instead. some people like the adjustments, others don't. just don't buy the 40s if you are later going to want the adjustment.

on doubles, the flathead 6 or ATX200 have slightly better hose routing than the DS4. it's pretty marginal though and tough to justify the cost.

just to give you some perspective, i have reached the above conclusions after having bought:

first stages:
2 flathead 6
2 DS4
1 US4

second stages:
1 TX100
1 ATX100
1 TX50
2 TX40

they are all excellent regs but like i said, if i had to do it again, i would buy the DS4/TX50 combo. in fact, i will probably do this when i have to buy more stage regs.

AquaBob once bubbled...
I'm considering getting the DS4s with TX50s on a long hoses and ATX40s as backup regs.

I dive ds4's with a tx50 second on one side and use an atx40 on the other ds4 and luv it!

I think either the TX or ATX is fine. Yes,
the ATX size is a little smaller and since
you have 3 regulators to buy the additional
cost involved may be prohibitive.
I luckily only had one regulator to buy
so I opted for the ATX (my LDS would
have had to order the TX anway).
But in terms of performance, my LDS
that there was really no difference.

Is there a difference between the ATX-40 & the ATX-40 Octopus except for the fact that the one marketed as the octopus has a yellow faceplate & hose?

I'm thinking of getting an ATX-50/ATX-40 w/ DS4 1st stage as my first reg setup & am wondering which ATX-40 to get....

Thanks!
Jim

GoBlue! once bubbled...
Is there a difference between the ATX-40 & the ATX-40 Octopus except for the fact that the one marketed as the octopus has a yellow faceplate & hose?

I'm thinking of getting an ATX-50/ATX-40 w/ DS4 1st stage as my first reg setup & am wondering which ATX-40 to get....

Thanks!
Jim
The only difference is the colour.

I have DS4 with ATX40's and I love them. They went on about six dives this weekend with different people and I had everyone telling me how great the were, nice to breath.

Price may be an issue but seeing as you are buying three sets you may be able to find somewhere to give you a good discount. The problem I found with the TX's was jaw ache. I found them a little heavy and cumbersome and uncomfortable to use compared to the atxs because I have such a small face so your wife and son may find the same problems with the TX's

How do the TX and ATX second stages compare in size to the Zeagle ZX second stage?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom