tx100 and the long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jon

Reaction score
I have a question for the DIR folks, specifically those who know or use the tx100. I've decided to make the move to long hose, but some things I have read are confusing me. First, I understand that the lp port my primary is now on has a 1/2" fitting which is not standard. Somewhere on the GUE site I saw a recommendation to plug that port and use standard hoses from the other LP ports. If I do this I will not be able to run the backup off the right side.

What do you guys do? Long hose or backup off the 1/2" port? Since the long hose will run down, should it come off the right side rear port, leaving the right side front port open for the backup which runs forward and over the shoulder?

I don't want to use a adapter since that seems to be a no-no too.

It's my understanding the backup should be on a 22" hose? A standard regulator hose is what? 31"? So I will need to replace this also correct?

As always, all help is very much appreciated!

-Jon

My short take on DIR (and with my asbestos underwear on) is that while many of their concepts are very valid, there are many ways to acheive the concept. I like many of the things they "preach" but like religion, there are many ways to get to the same place.

In other words, don't be so worried about the size of the hose fitting. If you can find a long hose with the fitting that you require, and it can be properly installed, then that should work.

Here's a link with a pic of what you're after, a single reg open water rig, but with a long hose. Take a really close look at the first stage position. I'm not familiar with the TX100 as I use the Zeagle T50D and use either an H-valve or doubles with manifold. The only reason they don't use the 1/2" port is for extreme emergencies where they might have to swap hoses around underwater. I use the 1/2" port with my primary reg, I think.

http://www.wkpp.org/images/pina_equip/OW_rig2_r.jpeg

Mike

Jon,
Hoses can be ordered any length, any fitting. Just check the usual places suggested by people here (on the internet). Your local shop should be able to get it for you too.
Neil

Jon,

I can't see that people really *would* open a reg first stage under water sucessfully. How many people bother to take the correct spanners under water with them :-(

So, use a 1/2 inch hose as originally specified, and if you are a real DIR fanatic, then take a spare hose along with you, so that you can change (at the surface) any defective hose - as is the original DIR motive for not using the 1/2 hose.

Jon T

Are the hoses finger tight?Are they black?Do they have strain relief?Do you realise that for "weinie dives"G.I.uses a 40 in hose?And no matter how I route it a 22"hose is un-comfortable to breathe as it tips my mouthpiece.Other than that I'm 95%DIR 5%whatever....I'm sorry,I can't help myself:wink:

George Irvine uses a 40 inch hose for openwater "weinie-dives" because he can. Doesnt that guy dive 24 hrs a day..well almost heh, he does it for a living for crying out loud. I, like many, use a 5ft hose for openwater "weinie-dives" to breed familiarity with my equipment. Most people dont get to dive anywere as near as much as someone like G.I. so they need to keep it simple and stick to one gear config so when it comes to the crunch in an overhead environment there is less risk involved with any given underwater emergency. Cheers

PS: 100 days cant you do without "comfort" on the 22 inch reg just for the duration of an emergency?

Frog,I am old and crotchety.I don't do much that is uncomfortable.My screenname is a description of how often I dive.I am already familiar with all the idiosyncrasies of my gear.And for deeperstuff the distance between the bottom emergecy and the 1st deco gas could be as long as 15 to 30 minutes.

Some other folks I know mount the TX-100 first stage upside down to facilitate having 2 standard size ports available on the right side.

Its a long story but i just recieved my new dual outlet tankvalve which looks like a mini manifold http://www.tecnoex.com/TecnoEx/Prodotti/Gas/Rubinetterie/Monobombola.htm I originally purchased an Apeks DS4 to use for the left post. In other words the 1st stage behind my left ear was supposed to have my SPG, backup reg, and dry suit inflator. However it turns out that i cant fit the 1st stages onto the dual outlet valve in the way i wanted i.e. with the dry sealed "ends" pointing in the same direction. Even 2 Apeks DS4's wont fit and they are the smallest dry sealed 1st stages that Apeks make which have enough ports for my needs. So the 1st stages have to be positioned with dry sealed "ends" poiting in opposing directions. This has other repercussions in that i can only use the DS4 on the left post because it only has 1 HP port (if it was on the right the HP port would face upwards. Therefore i cant use the TX100 to breath from on my primary reg. Anyway the point is that my backup reg has to be put into the TX100 (1st stage) 1/2 inch port (large non standard size port). This is done easily with a small port converter that Apeks make to convert the 1/2" UNF port on the TX100 1st stage to 3/8" standard.

What a pain in the ass, i only just bought a 5ft hose for my TX100 second stage primary when now 1 week later i have to change the 5ft hose to standard size so it fits my DS4 lol.

Back
Top Bottom