types of boats useful for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a 26' carver thats a nice dive platform but I keep it on a trailer and I live an hour from the ocean,it costs me around 60$ in gas round trip and to sandiego is $90. I just purchased a (used)novurania 12 1/2 center console RIB with a 40 hp I figure it will pay for itself. I think I can dive 3 as I dove 2 out of my 8.5' zodiac. I dont expect it to be as smooth as a 24' you guys were refering to but it sure does beat beach diving and paying for all the gas to tow my other.

Uncle Pug:
3. We don't have to take our tanks off to climb up the ladder.

Speaking of which... what ladder did you settle on?

Moogyboy:
The possibility of putting any such knowledge to use anytime soon are just about nil...

I've heard a lot of good suggestions... so I'll chime in.

We have a twin-vee power cat that we dive off. It's not a rib so you don't have to worry about it getting punctured but it's still almost impossible to sink because it uses positive foam floatation. During heavy seas, it's low enough to get a diver in need of rescue back in the boat but not low enough to allow water to enter. It's also the only self-draining power cat on the market - meaning iit doesn't have a bilge to maintain.

It also requires a lot less power to operate as compared to a deep or semi-v boat because it's a cat... our 20' uses dual 70 Hp engines and will do about 38 knots. It'll burn about 2-3 gallons an hour at full throttle with a moderate load and light seas. It can plane on one engine - meaning one engine will get you home at a good clip. Unlike deep vee boats, which have a tendency to roll quite a bit in heavy seas, the cat offers a wide stance preventing that movement to a large degree. You can also heavily weight one side of the boat and still maintain good balance.

It has lot's of room to permanent mount tank racks if you so desire. It has a large flat "casting" area in the bow that makes it easy to gear up. The stern of the boat can be fitted with a seating area suitable for diving as well.

It also only drafts about 10 inches meaning you can take it most places deep-vees cannot go and if you happen to find yourself over a reef you at least have a chance to get away without causing great damage to the boat.

It's also priced very competitively.

Uncle Pug:
OK... public concession:

overexposed2X's 24' RIB is smoother on the water than my Montauk 170.

They ARE fast and comfortable boats but to get into one that is over 19 feet is very expensive.

zboss:
Speaking of which... what ladder did you settle on?
A fold down SS ladder that clips into sockets mounted in the gunwhale. Using some pieces of PVC pipe I made slides that engage the sockets to keep the ladder from coming unhooked while in use. I also had to reiforce the stand off legs but other than that it works well.

Hello, I am fairly new to diving and just purchased my boat here on Guam as boat dives were totaling more than a monthly boat payment :11: The seas here are not that bad and my semi-v 19' Carolina Skiff with 80hp mercury seems like the perfect boat! Center Console, nice open deck with two side seats which the removable ladder mounts to is perfect! Just purchased the 8 tank roll control system which will alleviate some of the room problems I have with 4 divers on board. I easily take 4 divers with 2 tanks each and the addition of a dole-fin helps get me on plane quickly. Bimini top as well. I have been lucky and have yet to see the (Money pit) everyone talks about with boats. When we dive, I have a line with 2 clips and a float attached to drop gear overboard and saddle up in the water. Same process when getting back in. Very economical and seems to be good in somewhat rough waters as it is a semi-v model. Not bad for a first boat! Some of our friends have zodiacs and they seem to work as well, just hold less people.

Jason

Uncle Pug:
A fold down SS ladder that clips into sockets mounted in the gunwhale. Using some pieces of PVC pipe I made slides that engage the sockets to keep the ladder from coming unhooked while in use. I also had to reiforce the stand off legs but other than that it works well.

We ordered one of these:

http://www.plasteak.com/boating/platforms/halfplatform.htm

and a four step telescoping ladder to replace the dead wood platform and three step ladder on the back of the twin-vee (BTW - we just replaced the single Yamaha 130 with dual Evinrude e-tec 75s)... packaged it all up.... sent it down to st. thomas... and guess what? It doesn't FIT!

Well - we are scrambling to find a replacement or somehow to rig it so it does fit but I'm not holding out. As soon as I get back from the trip - around the 9th - I'll post some pictures.

BigKidney, congrats on the Skiff--they are excellent boats. You know, small boats like you and I have are not huge money pits. You bought a boat of good quality and good reputation just as I did with my Whaler. Your Carolina Skiff should proove durable and reliable for many years.
I too drop a line over with hooks for my equipment and don and doff the gear in the water. Well, some times I gear up on the boat and roll in. Love diving my inflatable as well, I can squirm in with full gear on. My kayak is the most challenging and yet the most fun! My wife asked me what I needed the Whaler for--I told her I need something that can carry my kayak further offshore! "Oh--she said--with a funny look" !
Hey, there is a fellow on the Whaler discussion site that dives Guam with a new Whaler Montauk 170. You might try to hook up with him. N

there is a saying that goes, "A boat is merely a hole in the water that one pours money into"

On that note, I would think the versatility of a BW or similar boat is much greater. Especially if not just used for diving, and one wanted to fish or ski or go for a day out on the lake. I guess everyone has their specialized uses.

Back
Top Bottom