Typhoon slams Chuuk, on track to hit Yap harder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was in Palau shortly after the storm and the local community college was doing a fundraiser for Yap. They got nailed hard there.

I was in Palau shortly after the storm and the local community college was doing a fundraiser for Yap. They got nailed hard there.

I assume by "there" you mean Yap - right?

How about Palau? Did they also get hit?

I assume by "there" you mean Yap - right?

How about Palau? Did they also get hit?

Yes, Yap got hit. Palau got a little bit of rain for a half a day or so and that was it.

Once more --Chuuk State has the full immediate aid and logistic support by the Compact of Free Association with the United States via FEMA through the US Territory of Guam --so of course the situation does not compare to the Philippines' apocalypse after Typhoon Hayan. Do you understand?

And if civil unrest is as bad as you are speculating above with police corruption and looters still running free & rampaging, then we would have heard about US National Guard Troops deploying to restore law and order.

What other imaginations & neuroses are percolating in your mind, scjoe?

You really are something. You took an analogy and ran wild with it, created your own hyperbole and then went off into the realm of personal attacks.

The Compact you love to cite had nothing to do with the difference between the reaction of the poor Fiipinos and the poor people of Chuuk. The Filipinos had a basic respect for the rule of law and waited patiently for help. They didn't immediately vandalize the property of others. They began taking food when help didn't arrive. Some reporters referred to this as looting, which brought out comments similar to those in the LA Times article you quoted. In Chuuk, some thugs decided to immediately vandalize property. This had nothing to do with a prolonged crisis. The problem is with the percentage of thugs compared to the rest of the people and the apparent willingness of the majority to look the other way, plus the reported corruption of the police force.

I never suggested the recent vandalism in Chuuk was comparable to the violence in parts of Mexico. The commonality was Scubaboard members like you defending what started out as limited violence and not seeing the trend until things really got bad. Chuuk is already an unsafe place when a common recommendation is to not leave your hotel grounds at night. Unpunished vandalism makes matters worse, not better. Apologists for thuggish behavior don't help. You can be as smug as you want, but the recent events in Chuuk will hurt their limited economy. Unpunished crime tends to escalate (i.e., Mexico, New York city in the 60s-70s, etc.), so the future does not look bright for a country dependent on one tourist site that might be gone in 10 years.

You really are something. You took an analogy and ran wild with it, created your own hyperbole and then went off into the realm of personal attacks.

The Compact you love to cite had nothing to do with the difference between the reaction of the poor Fiipinos and the poor people of Chuuk. The Filipinos had a basic respect for the rule of law and waited patiently for help. They didn't immediately vandalize the property of others. They began taking food when help didn't arrive. Some reporters referred to this as looting, which brought out comments similar to those in the LA Times article you quoted. In Chuuk, some thugs decided to immediately vandalize property. This had nothing to do with a prolonged crisis. The problem is with the percentage of thugs compared to the rest of the people and the apparent willingness of the majority to look the other way, plus the reported corruption of the police force.

I never suggested the recent vandalism in Chuuk was comparable to the violence in parts of Mexico. The commonality was Scubaboard members like you defending what started out as limited violence and not seeing the trend until things really got bad. Chuuk is already an unsafe place when a common recommendation is to not leave your hotel grounds at night. Unpunished vandalism makes matters worse, not better. Apologists for thuggish behavior don't help. You can be as smug as you want, but the recent events in Chuuk will hurt their limited economy. Unpunished crime tends to escalate (i.e., Mexico, New York city in the 60s-70s, etc.), so the future does not look bright for a country dependent on one tourist site that might be gone in 10 years.
New Orleans post-Hurricane Katrina seems to be doing very well despite what you would call the "unpunished crime" that occurred after that natural disaster.

And so will Chuuk FSM with its majority of law abiding citizens because of that Compact with the US (and Truk Lagoon being a potential future forward staging naval base should any major war break out with China/North Korea in SE Asia). Do you understand this objectively now from a geopolitical perspective rather than from your own dubious reactionary & negative sensationalism?

Last edited:
Just posted by Micronesian Divers Association on Facebook:

Great news from The Odyssey in Chuuk!:
"We are happy to announce that the Odyssey is now free from the reef and afloat without assistance. The Odyssey will be making her way, under her own power, to the shipyard for permanent repairs. At this time we expect to be back in Chuuk and operational before the end of June. The time estimate by the marine surveyor and the shipyard is 4 weeks to complete the repairs, maybe sooner. Fortunately, damage to the Odyssey was not too severe. It will take 3 weeks to complete the roundtrip from Chuuk to the shipyard and back. That is a total of 7 weeks. We are planning to visit the same shipyard that we have been attending on a regular basis for nearly 15 years. We are well familiar with the crossing and the shipyard."

Just posted by Micronesian Divers Association on Facebook:

Great news from The Odyssey in Chuuk!:
"We are happy to announce that the Odyssey is now free from the reef and afloat without assistance. The Odyssey will be making her way, under her own power, to the shipyard for permanent repairs. At this time we expect to be back in Chuuk and operational before the end of June. The time estimate by the marine surveyor and the shipyard is 4 weeks to complete the repairs, maybe sooner. Fortunately, damage to the Odyssey was not too severe. It will take 3 weeks to complete the roundtrip from Chuuk to the shipyard and back. That is a total of 7 weeks. We are planning to visit the same shipyard that we have been attending on a regular basis for nearly 15 years. We are well familiar with the crossing and the shipyard."

Hope they are able to leave Chuuk soom for the shipyard.

Heading to Truk in 5 days for 14 days of diving. Will provide an update, but our group hanse significant concerns and is looking forward to a great time.

Reactions: RJP
Question: does anyone have a good source of information for Truk news and recovery efforts? I'm headed there in early June and would like to know what I should expect. I've been following this thread, but the news content is low.

Back
Top Bottom