Typhoon slams Chuuk, on track to hit Yap harder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fasinating to see what the locals REALLY think of the tourists that are the foundation of their economy! Their naked, raw hostility is quite shocking! I'll be honest and admit hoping more hurricanes head their way, they deserve it.

Fasinating to see what the locals REALLY think of the tourists that are the foundation of their economy! Their naked, raw hostility is quite shocking! I'll be honest and admit hoping more hurricanes head their way, they deserve it.

While I think we can all understand the frustration at the situation, do you really think depriving the entire community of their primary source of income is the right way to move forward? I don't think anybody is denying that the people who have looted and caused wanton destruction are assholes, but do we need to see the entire community suffer as a consequence? There's already going to be increased unemployment as a result of these boats being out of commission for the foreseeable future, which will cause its own issues in the community. I'd predict that those who willfully damaged and looted the liveaboards will probably be facing their own local (tribal) justice for putting people out of work.

Wetpup, you are quite the optimist.

My Caribbean friends who have suffered through a few bad hurricanes, in particular Mitch, say of their stolen looted belongings "the hurricane took it".

My Caribbean friends who have suffered through a few bad hurricanes, in particular Mitch, say of their stolen looted belongings "the hurricane took it".

:confused: Sorry, I cracked up laughing at that. I don't know anybody who would call me anything other than an eternal cynic in real life...

Reality is that the insurance will probably cover all of the costs of the damage to the liveaboards. The question is whether they'll want to remain operating there after this show of behaviour? As tourists will be forced to cancel their travel plans, that will mean less income for the community, loss of jobs, all of which leads to further resentment of the foreigners. Vicious cycle.

Thanks for the replies and I appreciate the thoughts. Yes I will try and get more information and decide what to do. Don't want to deprive them of one of the very few bits of income the island has though.

Scuba monkeys are in my city so will see if they have spoken to any of the divers there and at Blue Lagoon especially. Supplies will be a problem though, it's never all that great at the best of times.

Talk to Matty with the Scuba Munkies, he is there now, diving the wrecks, and helped with the clean-up. He is in pretty tight with Felix (manager at Blue Lagoon Resort) he should be able to give you a good read on what's going on there and in the near future.

Here are some pictures, during the first part of the storm, the eye of the storm, the second part, and us helping the Odyssey crew remove their stuff from the ship.

Notice the trees bending in opposite directions depending on which side of the eye we were on. You can also see part of the missing and damaged lanai in the "eye" picture. It got knocked off into the fish pond. Most of the fish escaped when part of the pond became open to the lagoon and when the tide rose high enough that it came up to the outside bar (in fact I have a great video of one of the locals catching a flounder behind the bar.....saved for lunch later).

I have more pictures if people are interested, PM your e-mail if you want them.

Attachments

• IMAG0201.jpg
    IMAG0201.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 231
  • IMAG0223.jpg
    IMAG0223.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 239
  • IMAG0233.jpg
    IMAG0233.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 233
  • IMAG0241.jpg
    IMAG0241.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:

Ah--remember Mitch WELL-------we had a house(60 yds from the beach line on the north side), boat, & a 20 YO son living on the island(Roatan)then..........Didn't hear about any of the 3 for 9 days (communication was about shot----back then--to the island)...Even my dad who was a big time ham couldn't get in & get any info off the place....& Guanaja was hit even worse......btw, winds topped out @ 236 MPH during 'him'......But our '3' turned out OK, lost our 400' pier was all...:)

...Pretty much everyone at the resort and from the dive boats worked their butts of the day after the storm and cleaned up the downed structures and all the storm debris, and fallen trees, looks almost as good as new... As long as they can get food, water, and fuel for their generators I think your dive trip will be fine... while I was helping unload the crew's gear...

I just wanted to say that it was really nice of you to help the people at Blue Lagoon and Odyssey with the clean-up after the storm. This situation clearly demonstrates that there are good people in the world and bad people; and you are definitely one of the good people!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom