Typical conditions in the deep south and St. Johns in December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'm looking for input about conditions in the Southern part of the Egyptian area of the Red sea in December.

I'm trying to decide if I want to book a liveaboard in the South in the 2nd week of December.

Below is the description of the diving (in Dutch) the names of some of the reefs should be easy enough to spot.

My main questions are about wind and current. Does anyone have experience on these reefs in this time of the year?

R..

Je vertrekt vanaf Marsa Ghalib. De riffen van St. John`s staan bekend om de grote variatie aan duiklocaties, maar vooral Sataya (Dolphin Reef) met haar prachtige steile wanden en koraal pilaren is een lust voor het oog. Een grote school van ruim 100 spinner dolfijnen verblijft vaak in dit rif en ze staan erom bekend dat ze ontmoetingen met snorkelaars en duikers niet uit de weg gaan! Op het ondiepe zanderige gedeelte van de lagune kun je nog eeuwen oude amphora's op de bodem vinden.

De riffen van Shaab Makshur en Sha'ab Ossam staan bekend om een treffen met grote scholen tonijn, makrelen en met een beetje geluk; haaien. Het kleine, maar mooie wrak Abu Galawa is een uitermate geschikte plek voor een relaxte nachtduik. Overdag wordt het rif door Napoleons en roggen bezocht. De grotten en spelonken van Sha'ab Claudio staan bekend om het mooi palet van zonlicht wat door de smalle openingen in het rif schijnt.

It will be lovely. I did that kind of trip about three years ago, something like Nov 28th to Dec 3rd and had a great time. I used a 5mm suit and was on the warm side, diving CCR and doing quite long dives.

Perhaps the transits will be slightly tougher than earlier in the year. Wind was not a problem, but it is unlikely to be shorts and a t-shirt weather, although I think we did use the AC. Early January land based the previous year was colder, I had to wear my undersuit top in the evening.

There is ALWAYS wind in the red sea.... sometimes stronger but usually refreshing. A week with no wind is rare... I remember 1 day (5 years ago) with the sea like a mirror, but it has been the only one in the month.

Currents, it depends where your captain will go. Don't be afraid, they will never lead you where the current is very strong, they care about the customer, it's better to keep them alive and pleased ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom