U pay to give companies free advertising?

Would you pay for a branded t-shirt?

• Yes, I don't mind paying if I like the brand.

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • No, but would wear it if it was free.

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • No, and I would not wear it even if it was free.

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sometimes I will break down and buy a branded shirt that I really really like, but I do like free shirts and hats. Kinda Like when you spend 48K on a John Deere Tractor and they give you a made in China Hat that cost 5 dollars. But I take it and still wear it when on the farm. I would take any free shirt from a manufacture that I like. Just to help them promote. Polo and Tommy Hilfiger and other department store shirts are just a waste. But its America you can do what you want, buy what you want and be happy. But I mostly wear Sports team hats and my shirts are mostly Plain Duluth shirts with no brand on them and a pocket. Now my Beer Cozies are a whole different story, They are a compilation of where i have been, what I have seen and what I have bought.......That reminds me......mmmm beer time.....

I'll buy souvenir shirts, I have a couple from Cozumel, Bonaire and Jamaica. I don't mind that but I have bought 2 sets Oceanic regs and 2 sets of Scuba pro. If they want to send me a tshirt, I'll wear it but I won't pay for it.

I'm just picking on the regs but I feel the same about my other gear.

I guess it depends what you mean by branded. I have bought souvenir diving tshirts from locations I've been too but not bought any manufacturer's t-shirt and do not understand why one would. I would wear them if they were free though. I hate shopping so the less decisions I have to make about clothing due to getting free stuff, the better.

That reminds me, recently I got a fill from a LDS I don't normally go to. I went out to the car for a minute and he took the opportunity to slap a sticker advertising his shop on my tank!

I didn't realise until later, but I thought that was a bit cheeky.

Last edited:
Wat. Email me the shop name, interested :p

That would annoy me. Print out a big sticker that says 'BURNA' and put on the compressor.

That reminds me, recently I got a fill from a LDS I don't normally go to. I went out to the car for a minute and he took the opportunity to slap a sticker advertising his shop on my tank!

I didn't realise until later, but I thought that was a bit cheeky.
only a BIT?? that is defacing private property... vandalism no less

since you guys have annual hydros, I don't think think you require Evidence of Inspection stickers down there... but up here, if they fill my tank and slap a sticker on my tank advertising their shop it had better be a FREE VIP sticker. otherwise I will NEVER return without some sort of bona fide excuse... the audacity of defacing my gear would bother me exceptionally. I do not put corrosion encouraging stickers on tanks if it can at all be avoided. ....and for them to put one on without consulting?? thats pale

Wat. Email me the shop name, interested :p

That would annoy me. Print out a big sticker that says 'BURNA' and put on the compressor.

How 'bout on the front window?? Maybe with a photo of my carpet arse to go with it!! :mooner:

I guess I look at it this way: Am I paying them a fee to advertise for them, or am I paying for a shirt to have on my back?... I'm going with the latter. Now that that's out of the way, I'll choose something that is appealing to my eye, something I would like to 'show off' and be proud to wear. If I like X company because I think they have quality gear, and they have a cool shirt that catches my eye, why not wear it? Advertising something you like can't be all a bad thing... it can keep them around longer or help them expand (benicial for the consumer), and it can start a good conversation with passers-by because of your similiar interests.

As examples, I play Paul Reed Smith Guitars, drink Stone Brewing Company beers, ride NeverSummer snowboards, and love Eagles football... and I have a few shirts from each company. I like to show pride in the things I like. This doesn't mean I have to wear their shirt to prove it, but it's there as an option and I need something to wear, so why not?

If I like X company because I think they have quality gear, and they have a cool shirt that catches my eye, why not wear it? Advertising something you like can't be all a bad thing... it can keep them around longer or help them expand (benicial for the consumer), and it can start a good conversation with passers-by because of your similiar interests.

Well....wearing it isn't so much the issue, I guess, as paying for the privilege.To me it just seems back to front. People pay $30 or more for a shirt that prolly costs $5 to make, and it carries a logo (lets say a brand of dive gear), which is advertising.

If I was selling XX brand gear and someone spent upwards of $500, to me, chucking in a $5 t-shirt would scream cheap advertising.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom