U.S. Divers/Aqua-Lung Calypso J rebuild

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2airishuman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It's hard to find a regulator that's cheaper and easier to maintain than the Calypso. I have three of them, and have paid as little as $9.99 for a package deal that includes a 1st and 2nd stage on eBay. They are easy to rebuild, and parts are readily available and inexpensive. These are balanced, flow-through piston designs that include a turret. The main drawback is that the hose routing to the BC isn't ideal. I wouldn't use these for cold water diving because the design appears susceptible to freezing.

This is the first time I've found a "J" version that includes a reserve mechanism. I've experimented with "J" valves on my cylinders. When the reserve mechanism is part of the cylinder valve, it is continuously pressurized even when the valve is off. Due to the age and condition of the "J" valves that are available, and the problems getting parts, it is common to end up with stem leaks that, while not serious, will lead to a loss of gas if the cylinder is stored full for several weeks. Having the reserve valve in the regulator eliminates this problem.

calypsoJ.jpg

A fact to be aware of is that there was a recall on these due to an isolated problem with the seat coming loose and sticking to the piston, leading to an abrupt loss of gas delivery. The recall adds a little retainer, and parts are available from Vintage Double Hose. None of the three Calypsos that I have came to me with the recall rework already in place.

Like most 1970s era regulators, the HP hose connection is the same size as the LP hose connections, so you need a special hose or an adapter.

There's a fine adjust for the IP that is accessible behind the bottom LP outlet, using a hex wrench.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom