U.S. Divers capillary depth gauge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OldBubbles

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Bought some goodies last night including a new to me double 72s rig and a DA Aqua-Master.
I got an assortment of vintage parts and what-not but the coolest piece is what I believe to be somewhat rare. It is a circa 1952-ish (?) U.S. Divers capillary depth gauge that is marked to 300' !
The condition is amazing and the bands appear to be original.
If anyone has more info on this, please share!
Some of the pieces I got I don't need and will trade or sell them off but I think I will hold on to this little fella for a while.

Attachments

• 20200730_065858.jpg
    20200730_065858.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 209
I have several still in their original packaging-- a cellophane sealed package

Yours appears to be totally original - including ther rubber bands (aka Elastics as my Canadian born wife refers to them)

I have never researched when they appeared on the American market or when they disappeared
(and don't have the interest to research the date of introduction and demise )

FYI
I do recall a junction in time at the end of their run that they became a sought after gauge.
We were producing home made UW Camera housings from "Plexiglas " and glued a capillary gauges on the housing to indicate depth - which was a critical component in early UW photography - either B&W or color
I think I still have one of my UW camera housing failures some where in my dive locker
( I never owned or made an UW camera housing I couldn't flood )

Now I will turn this thread over to I think, I suppose, I believe, my instructor told me experts for additional comments

Samuel Miller, 111

Hello Old Bubbles.U.S.Divers carried the Soundor flat capillary gauge in there 53,54 and 55 catalogs.Good to 140'.The U.S.Divers brand were sold first year 1956 like yours good to 300".In 1957 they sold it also .They also had a 80' smaller model.By 1958 they were gone.Round type wrist gauges only.There is two models of the U.S.Divers I know of and a few variations.I will post pics next week.Any flat capillary gauge like that is rare.They sell between $100 to $300 most of the time.Voit also sold there own brand in 1956 very rare also.I have other companies i will show next week.A Voit one sold for $200 a few days ago.Great score.

Awesome! Thank you for the info. I look forward to seeing your gauges.

Hello Old Bubbles.U.S.Divers carried the Soundor flat capillary gauge in there 53,54 and 55 catalogs.Good to 140'.The U.S.Divers brand were sold first year 1956 like yours good to 300".In 1957 they sold it also .They also had a 80' smaller model.By 1958 they were gone.Round type wrist gauges only.There is two models of the U.S.Divers I know of and a few variations.I will post pics next week.Any flat capillary gauge like that is rare.They sell between $100 to $300 most of the time.Voit also sold there own brand in 1956 very rare also.I have other companies i will show next week.A Voit one sold for $200 a few days ago.Great score.

Back
Top Bottom