U/W housing for Olympus C-4000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xoomboy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My fiancee and I have just decided to pick up an Olympus C-4000 camera, and I'd like to get a waterproof housing for it. Can someone provide a little info as to housing companies, tips, etc. Does Olympus make their own housings?

Also, we actually haven't PURCHASED the camera yet, so if you have any comments on the product -- good or bad -- I would love to hear them!

Thanks,

Matt

The 4040 is a possibility, although it's more expensive. It does seem to have a good following, though, with the U/W guys from what I've been able to gather.

Can anyone tell me what the main differences are between the 4000 and 4040? I've been unable to find a site that compares them side-by-side, but will check out uwdigital.com.

Thanks much!

Matt

Go to the Olympus site and do a comparison. You can find the comparison page here. Choose Digital Cameras. Then choose the models you want to compare.

The shape and size of the cameras look very close so you may be able to use the Olympus PT-10 case but better check with Allan at Underwater Digital to make sure.

Yes, Olympus has their own housings.

xoomboy,

The C-4000 is on my Christmas list. From what I have found the "big" differences between it and the 4040 are that the 4000 has a slower shutter speed and power up time, and that's honestly all I could find.

Looks like it should fit in the PT-010 housing.

AD, that's all I could pretty much find as well, besides the fact that the 4040 is black and the 4000 is silver. I think they're almost the same otherwise.

Dee, thanks for the link. Great site!!! Both uwdigital.com and underwaterdigital.com were different sites, so I was a little confused as to where to find the information. After looking at the shape of the PT-010 housing, I'm thinking that the C-4000 will most likely fit.

I spent a good amount of time checking out other cameras last night as well. For the price, I'd have to say this Olympus seems like the way to go!

Thanks for the help,

Matt

Just want to let everyone know that the Olympus c4000z will definitely fit and work with the Olympus Camedia PT-010 housing.

That's al folks

Allan

Thanks for the link, clive. I've also attached the body of a private message conversation that I recently had with Allan from underwaterdigital.com.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Allan,

Thanks for the info regarding the PT housing and the C-4000z.

Can you tell me what the main differences are between the 4000 and 4040? I'm trying to decide which one would be better to pick up, and I'm having a hard time.

It seems like most Olympus fans on the board really like the 4040, but no one has really said anything about the 4000 as far as actual usage goes...

Thanks again,

Matt

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Matt,

The main differences between the C4000Z and C4040Z are:

OlyC4000Z has F2.8 not as bright as the C4040Z F1.8
The lens on the C4040Z Olympus has 3x multivariator zoom lens 7.1 - 21.3 mm, F1.8 - F2.6, 10 lenses in 7 groups (Equivalent to 35 - 105mm lens in 35mm format) All glass zoom lens including aspherical lens elements. Lens equivalency on the C4000z is shorter than the c4040z.

C4000Z has a Olympus aspherical glass 3x zoom lens 6.5 - 19.5mm (32-96mm equivalent in 35mm photography)

C4040Z has an Olympus 3x multivariator zoom lens 7.1 - 21.3 mm, F1.8 - F2.6, 10 lenses in 7 groups (Equivalent to 35 - 105mm lens in 35mm format) All glass zoom lens including aspherical lens elements.

The Olyc4000z on the other hand has a super macro mode that you will find in the c4040z. the problem is that you can't use the super macro mode underwater because the flash is disabled on super macro mode setting.

Hope this helps

Allan

-------------------------------------------------
Hi Allan,

Thanks again for all the great info -- it really helps!

The only thing I've heard about the 4040 that keeps me from being completely sold on it is the rumor I've heard that it tends to warp straight edges when taking pics? This may or may not be an issue, as I have no idea as to how pronounced it is.

The rumor is that when you take a picture of, say, a building, the sides and top appear curved. Not sure if it's only with wide-angle shots, or all form of shots. It also may be an issue with the C-4000. Again, not sure.

As I said, for U/W, it's probably a non-issue, as there are no straight edges down there anyway

Cheers,

Matt

-------------------------------------------------
Matt,

I know exactly what you're talking about and that's is probably because of the wide angle lens. As you said for uw use it's not an issue.

Allan

Well, we've decided to go with the Olympus C-4000 (hooray!).

Good friends of ours own a photo shop out in Chicago, and they have recommended it to us. When we asked about the 4040, this was what they had to say:

"Yes, the Olympus c-4040 has some additional features compared to the C-4000, but the C-4040 is now discontinued and unavailable from Olympus unless a particular dealer has some left. We do not.

There is a new model, essentially replacing and improving upon the C-4040. It is (good guess) the C-5050. 5 megapixel camera. Outstanding. BUT brand new and not shipping yet...I will call our Olympus rep tomorrow and see what actual delivery will be...we have them on order already, but until they actually have them ready to ship, we have to wait. My recollection is mid-November which is not very timely [for our wedding on 11/9]. Could be sooner - I will know better tomorrow and advise.

The whole digital camera thing absolutely gallops along. Basically, my advice is to buy the best you can afford and use it and enjoy it. It's a given that six months down the road there may be something with better specs and maybe a better price, but the whole idea is to have fun with whatever you get at a point in time and if you really get into it - you can certainly upgrade later. Kind of like computers...we keep trying to BE THERE. "

The 5050 is a little out of our price range.

So now we can purchase a housing! I'm thinking the PT-010 is the way to go for now. I have a feeling that we'll upgrade to a 5050 and possibly an Ikelite in the future should my new U/W photo hobby take off (course, I need to buy some new gear first, so it might be a while...). We won't be passing the 100fsw mark anytime soon, so the PT-010 should be fine.

Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom