UAL Charges More For "Seatmates (sic) Of Size"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of our engineers at work came up with the new United Check In Protocol.

1. Step up to Kiosk, stand in yellow feet on floor. Do not be alarmed as your custom seat size is now being configured. (At this time a pair of calipers measures the size of your butt.)
2. Insert credit card. You are being charged a $50 fee for each inch over "Standard size"
3. Your sliding armrest will be adjusted by our friendly service staff. Have a nice day and thank you for flying the Friendly Skies of United.

This is normal policy on almost all airlines. However, given that most people in the USA are now POS (person of size not piece of s***) that can fit in their seat but still spill over I get tired of having them next to me as they take up my space as well.

Probably time to move this thread to the whine & cheese section.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is normal policy on almost all airlines. However, given that most people in the USA are now POS (person of size not piece of shiit) that can fit in their seat but still spill over I get tired of having them next to me as they take up my space as well.

Probably time to move this thread to the whine & cheese section.

I have to agree. I had to sit next to a very large gentleman on the way to Palau from Yap(1 hr flight) and he took up his seat and half of mine. I really have no idea how he got into the seat and think it would have been appropriate for him to pay for 2 seats so he could raise the armrest and be more comfortable. He was wedged in there, next to the window so he had to lean over the armrest into my seat, causing me to have to lean over into my husband's seat. All 3 of us were uncomfortable! Luckily it was only an hour flight. If I had been a large person also it would have been impossible for us all to fit. Either way, I paid full price for my seat and only got to use 1/2 of it.
I am not trying to be insensitive, I just think it would be better for all parties if larger people had 2 seats so they could be comfortable and not cause others in their row to be miserable.

robin:D

I believe it was the airlines that specified narrower seats to the manufacturers 10 years back. It sure wasn't the passengers... of any size.

Let the lawsuits begin.

I completly agree with this policy. I haven't been stuck with one yet, but on long flights to international sites, i would for certain raise a huge stink if i did get stuck with one that forced me to squish up against the bulkhead

I expect/hope to see Whales in their habitat, not in mine. I know it would be considered rude, but in reality, aren't they the ones being rude and inconsiderate?

Well, the airlines have made the seats narrower, and the row spacing smaller, to try to pack more paying people into a given flight. But as the people have gotten larger, they don't fit in the seats. What airlines want is a whole bunch of skinny people paying full fare, but that's not what they are getting.

I do think there either ought to be rows set up for larger people (at an increased cost, of course) or some other way to relieve the rest of the passenger list from the discomfort of trying to occupy half of a seat. I sat in a three person row on the way back from the East Coast a couple of years ago, with a couple who were both in the 400 lb range. (They both needed to get seat belt extenders from the stewardess.) He spilled into her seat, which made her spill even MORE into mine; I spent a good portion of the very uncomfortable flight, hanging rather out into the aisleways, getting whapped by beverage carts and scolded by flight attendants. It was not a pleasant experience at all. They were very nice people, but they were simply too big.

This is a tough thing, if the airlines can not make a profit, there is no airline, Look at how many airlines went under last year. You can bash the airline all you want, but not even 10 years ago. Were the seat design for 300lb and up passenger. But other has said that it is not fair to other passenger when they have to give up 1/2 their seat to the larger passenger. The EU and the FAA have been dealing with the issue for a while, and they have okay these policy for larger passenger. There is no easier answer to this problem, maybe the US need to go on a diet. The problem is bigger here.

Last edited:
If you buy into that argument, then just as defensible would be to suggest that two skinny fashion models who could sit in one seat should pay only one fare. Or maybe two 4 year olds would need only one seat. It cuts both ways.

You can bash the airline all you want, but not even 10 years ago. Were the seat design for 300lb and up passenger.

No, the seats are now over an inch narrower than they were in the 1970's. They are now 17.2" .

Good data from http://www.independenttraveler.com/resources/article.cfm?AID=161&category=13 :

The Middle Seat Factor
Boeing has patented what they call the Personal Space Model, a formula that accounts for seat pitch, width, and similar quantifiable measurements, along with more subjective elements of passenger perception of space.

Some of the findings:
- Leg room and seat width account for 60% of the average traveler's sense of comfort
- Putting the widest point in the cabin at eye level (approx. 48 inches) "tricks" passengers to experience a sensation of greater roominess.
- The overarching factor determining passenger perception of comfort: whether or not the middle seat is occupied.

The Standard Seat: 17.2 Inches Wide; 31-32 Inch Seat Pitch
During the development of the 777 family of planes, Boeing took their findings and decided to add 5 inches to the width of the plane. It permitted them to put in wider, 18.5" seats without diminishing the overall capacity.

The standard airline seat is 17.2" wide, while seat pitch ranges from 28" on some short-haul, down-and-dirty charters, to 33-34" on some planes.

Who Has the Best Seats?
It would be great if we could simply tell you which airline offers the most leg room. Almost to the plane, Boeing recommends a 32" seat pitch in coach. What the airlines actually order is another thing altogether. Unfortunately, seat pitch varies not merely by airline, but from plane to plane within each airline's fleet.

Midwest Express stood alone, offering 33" of pitch and 21" wide seats as standard equipment. United, which led the way in the recent seat size increase, has some 727's with 34" seat pitch, and 777's with 33" seat pitch.

Raw data of seat widths: http://www.sizewise.com/docs/skies.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom