UDT Force Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Winters

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I finally got to try the Force Fin Tan Delta UDTs last week on a 58ŽŽŽ° day off Deerfield Beach, FL. I have used Force Fins off-and-on since the fall of 1982, but this was the first pair of Tan Deltas for me.
I used the old Voit UDTs until I tore the heel strap of one of them in 1970 and could not locate another pair of them in my size.
Then in 2005, 360 Incorporated found the original molds, probably in China, brought them back to the US, and began manufacturing UDTs again. I have a pair in both the Extra Large and Super sizes, but I can't wear booties with either of them since my feet are kinda big. The best I can manage are neoprene socks.
UDT_1_.jpg

Putting on UDTs was always a nightmare since the heel strap was so unyielding, but once they're on, nothing short of a traumatic amputation is going to make them come off accidentally. I use a shoehorn to get them on – in a drysuit or a wetsuit on a hot day, it's too easy to overheat wrestling on a pair of the things. They slide off ok in the water if you jigger the heel strap down over your heel and then pull the things off.
UDT_2_.jpg

At the 2007 DEMA, I mentioned the UDTs to Bob Evans and he decided to run a mold up the flagpole and see who saluted.
UDT_3_.jpg

And I got the first pair.
Each fin is based on the XL size, and the Force Fins are a few ounces lighter than the rubber version. They are THE easiest fins that I have ever put on, but therein lies the problem. With the legendary blade stiffness of the UDT design preserved in Bob's version, there is too much heel flex to allow maximized thrust so I had to ease back my kick to keep the fins snugly on.
UDT_4_.jpg

After the dive looking at these beauties, I realized that this fin ran counter to the Force Fin design philosophy. Not only did the original UDT fins disappear after I tore my first pair, but the UDT designation in the Navy disappeared as well as every supporting Navy Special Warfare unit was redesignated with the SEAL moniker. Maybe this fin design is best left to history.
UDT_4a_.jpg

I always loved whatever pair of Force Fins I bought initially, but over time with lots of dives, the blade stiffness and flex faded until I had to go back to whatever POS regular fins I had in the dive locker. The last pair of Force Fins that I owned were the Foils, and then they were new, I could use them for scuba and freediving and really move through the water. When the flex slipped a little, I actually doubled my money on them on eBay after two years of ownership.
Wherever in the world I was diving, people always had to check out my fins. There are innumerable “experts” on Force Fins who pretty much condemn them as worthless, but pretty much NONE of them have actually used them. Each model is supercomfortable – the UDTs are frankly a royal pain to put on, they're unwearable for me with normal booties, and if I let my conditioning slide a little, I pay for that on a serious dive.
I have to say that this Tan Delta material looks like the real thing – lots of stiffness, but with a real nice return whip on them. I don't know how they would hold up after a couple of years of serious diving – it's a little scary buying a pair for almost $500.
So Bob, I have to give you a big mahalo for tooling these babies up and molding a pair even if they're only going into the Force Fin Museum of Superior Fin Technology out there in California. It was pretty cool opening up a UPS box and seeing pair #1 of anything. And that Tan Delta material seems magical.

Tom, I have another pair in a softer tan delta material. I think this pair will work even better. Smoke black which is something we have done for over 10 years. I also have given permission to my local plant to make a two part material UDT fin. A hard blade with a soft foot pocket and heel strap. I have started to make a bob redesign of that uncomfortable foot pocket. The UDT fin has the same footpocket like the Jet Fin. I must say that the pair I will be sending you sure has a nice blade flex. Thanks for getting me to have some fun. Best Bob P.s. The black widow pescador775 is taking about Killer seal Camo? What is he talking about and who is this person. No profile information.

Last edited:
Tom, I am confused, did you like them or not??

There was too heel play because of the strap. Everything else, especially that cool material, was great.

Wow - this is really of interest to me as a body-surfer and paipo rider. I just got a pair of UDT's this week.

UDT's are a cult item amongst hardcore body surfers so I'm very curious to hear about the Force Fin version.

Lots of UDT stuff here.

I'm hoping that those involved with the FF UDT version are able to keep us up to date via this thread. I'd love to hear more about this as it unfolds.

Tom, I am sending you another pair, smoke black tan delta, softer material and the straps were left on. This should do it. They have been setting around now for 3 weeks but I got caught up finishing the xxl Flying Force this weekend. I have a cool testimonial coming from a Mermaid,,,Best Bob

Tom, you should be seeing the next test model before Christmas. We look forward to your post. Have a good Christmas and New Year, best Bob.

'Twas the week before Christmas,
and I got lots of stuff.
Every day, more things came -
was there ever enough?
In the midst of holiday cocktails
of whiskies, rum drinks and gins,
the UPS guy dropped off a
package from whom?
It was from ye olde Force Fins!!!
I opened the box,
and pulled these babies out.
I held them to the light,
and I let out a shout!
Translucent black new UDT-style fins.
When, oh when, could I take them for a spin?
I went out to the pool,
all eager, practically a'drool...
But putting on the first fin,
I soon felt a fool.
For there it was, there it was
I surely could not laugh.
I had torn the first fin,
torn the strap right in half.
smForce_Fin2_16_.jpg

smForce_Fin2_17_.jpg

The fins were gorgeous - that Tan Delta material glows in the light.

smForce_Fin2_13_.jpg

The first FF pair; the second FF-UDTs; 360Inc UDTs'

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom