UEMIS battery replacement - cont.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Test the charger piece first with a voltmeter; by unsnapping the black cover you can gain access to the inputs of the cable receptacle. The otter pins are where the voltage flows looking at it with the small side down the pins are 1-5; positive is pin 1 and ground is pin 5 you should get 4.5-5.5 volts through it. In reading your post again this is likely your culprit if the solar charger does charge it. I've many of these come in with corrosion at the receptacle.

I just tested my charger. It works well. The voltage between pins 1 and 5 is 5.15v. I cleaned the UEMIS pins to make sure there is contact when charger is connected, but nothing is done.

How should the battery be connected to the small load protection circuit? On the UEMIS, I see that there is contact between the 2 red wires. They are welded on the same pin, while the black wires are on 2 different pins. You can see it on this picture.
DSC09107.jpg

I think 2 red wires must be separated.

Last edited:
Hello,

For now, I left the wires as they were. This still does not load. Curious, especially as the solar charge works. The charger works, I could test it on another UEMIS.
I only have 2 options left. The first one, the small circuit of protection of load works badly, in this case, it must be changed. If someone can give me a reference, or a link to buy it, it would be great.
The second possibility is that something inside the UEMIS, at the load connector, has burned out. In that case, I'm stuck! And I hope this is not the second option the good !!!
Any ideas ?

Thank you

Sorry, I don't really check on here too much these days. What we have done when these circuits have gone bad is just remove it all together. What it really does is prevents overcharging the battery. Once you remove it you cannot just plug it up to a wall charger and walk away from it as it will overcharge the battery causing it to swell; you will need to monitor it by the battery icon on the display and unplug it once its full. You can use a USB current detector to help, (https://www.amazon.com/Kw-203-Curre...?ie=UTF8&qid=1493669819&sr=8-1&keywords=KW203). I have done this on dozens of these computers and the only failures are the ones that come back with a swollen battery indicating overcharge condition. Another reason not to use any epoxy that hardens to reseal those batteries, not to mention the epoxy gets hot during curing.

Hello, thank you for your answer.

If I understand correctly, I have to remove the small protective circuit and connect the battery directly to the UEMIS? I just have to check the load visually, and to disconnect the UEMIS as soon as it shows me a full load?
So I'll test. Just a question, why not plug in a new protection circuit? Those sold on the internet are not suitable?
I will put "Magic Gel" to protect the battery and the UEMIS. Should this be sufficient if the battery swelling?

Thank you very much for the time spent reading and answering me. It really helps me, thank you
Stéphane

To be honest I have not seen replacement circuits online; unless it was one directly for the Uemis I would proceed with caution on one of those. Keep in mind there is not a lot of room in the battery compartment and if water comes into contact with any piece, battery or circuit board you will find yourself in this same situation.

I have not tried recently to purchase the boards from Uemis as early on they wouldn't sell just the board; might be worth exploring again. However the computer will work just fine without it, just don't overcharge it.

Hello, and thank you for all these explanations. So I tested without the protection circuit. Unfortunately, that does not change anything. The uemis always refuses to take charge. It is not recognized either by my PC. I think the circuit that allows to use the uemis usb is burned out.
So I put back the protection circuit, and drowned the whole in "Magic Gel". Recharging will be done from the solar panel of the uemis.

Thank you so much for all the help you have given me.

Stephane

Hi, My SDA battery went out and I think need battery replacement. I sent email to Sea Level Scuba but 'info@sealevelscuba.com' email address can't reached. Would you let me know available email address?

Info@sealevelscuba.com seems to be working fine Danny.I received an email from you there yesterday. Yes I still do the battery swaps, I charge $50 to determine whether or not a new battery will wake it up or not, if that is successful then another $50 to replace the battery. You need to send the charger cradle with it, I have had a few come in that didn't need batteries, their charging cradle had become no good. If you decide to move forward you can just enclose a check in the package with the SDA.

Schott

Back
Top Bottom