Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zef

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Purchased the Waterproof Ultima dryglove system for my Aqualung Fusion Bullet drysuit as recommended by some SB members as it is a direct fit with the si-tech oval rings in my suit.

Also, per some posts, got i touch with SHOWA and had them send me some samples of the 660 pvc and 720 nitrile gloves.

I also built the wooden jig in the following video:

I am having a hell of a time getting the gloves onto the rings. I have resorted to using wood clamps/spreaders to pre-stretch the o-rings but even then I am killing my hands and and using an extreme amount of effort to get the gloves mounted.

What am I missing? It feels like I now have debilitating arthritis in my fingers and I only have one glove mounted.

-Z

Got the Ultima system for the new Fusion I picked up last night. The guys at the shop got the gloves on the rings for me. I happened to have unused gloves on the rings from the system on my old suit. They ended up putting those on the Ultima rings since they were already prestretched.

The one guy used the little red tool that comes with the Ultima to help get the glove on the ring. But it seems to go so much better if two people can do it!

Turns out a lot of people come into the shop for help getting new gloves on the rings. :wink:

I just got a pair couple weeks ago. I had some black and white gloves with no lining. First glove had me cursing a blue streak but the second glove was easier. I think the problem you are having maybe related to the fabric lining in that glove. There are Marigold black and white gloves that stretch better because there is no lining. But yeah it still take an effort even with those type.
I have ordered some with the fabric lining myself, so I will have my own experience with those type.

I finally got the 2nd glove mounted...the cuff is even all around. My fingers are killing me.

The edge of the glove cuff is even with the edge of the ring closest to the wrist. I hope this is correct because I am not looking forward to unmounting and remounting.

I have 2 of the remaining 4 o-rings stretching on a wood clamp that also works as a spreader. I will see if can stretch the cuffs of the 660 gloves a bit too so that hopefully this will be an easier exercise in the future.

If anyone has any other tips or tricks I am game.

Right now my hands need a warm soak, wish I had one of those parafin hand baths.

-Z

Looks like I will be shopping for some PVC pipe/coupling next week.

I had seen that video in the past when I was doing my research on what system to buy, but dismissed it as the wood jig video and accompanying discussion made it seem so easy....after hours of struggling I am game to try this next time.

Thanks,
-Z

Used the Ultima DGS setup yesterday on a dive....they worked great!! Looking forward to the when the water temp drops to really put them to the test.

Did not use the tubes under my wrist seals. The gloves did squeeze around my hands but that did not affect my ability to move my fingers and if anything it improved my dexterity with the gloves on. I need to practice pulling stuff out of and replacing stuff in my thigh pockets as it was pain to re-stow my DSMB that I moved to a hip d-ring mid dive but then decided that I wasn't going to deploy it....got it back in the pocket but I broke trim while struggling to get my hand in and out with the lower tactile sensation than I am used to. I am sure this will get better.

Only went down to 22 meters, so we'll see about not using the tubes or thumb loops under the wrist cuffs on deeper dives in the future.

Thanks all for the tips/vids above. I really appreciate it.

-Z

You will get used to them right away. I've been using dry gloves for a dozen years and have no trouble manipulating the tiny knobs and buttons of my camera housing. The 720s make it even easier.

Purchased the Waterproof Ultima dryglove system for my Aqualung Fusion Bullet drysuit as recommended by some SB members as it is a direct fit with the si-tech oval rings in my suit.

Also, per some posts, got i touch with SHOWA and had them send me some samples of the 660 pvc and 720 nitrile gloves.

I also built the wooden jig in the following video:

I am having a hell of a time getting the gloves onto the rings. I have resorted to using wood clamps/spreaders to pre-stretch the o-rings but even then I am killing my hands and and using an extreme amount of effort to get the gloves mounted.

What am I missing? It feels like I now have debilitating arthritis in my fingers and I only have one glove mounted.

-Z
I must be missing something too. The video makes it look like you managed to do it successfully.

Back
Top Bottom