Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's a no from me.

They look the part, but the EN388 protection numbers are "3031," which tells me that they have next to no cut protection... That is, they scored a "0" in the EN388 cut test.

...Which is the same as a standard butyl rubber glove that a lot of dryglove ring wearers used to use.

Will they work? Yes... But I suspect not for long.

If you have a pair that are sitting around, mount them. Give them a shot and report back as to how they work out for you. I would not recommend diving them "sealless," as the numbers hint that you'll likely suffer a glove flood in relatively short order.

If you don't have a pair sitting around, then I recommend giving them a pass and loading the 720 instead.

Regardless, I'd be very interested in your experience with them. If you dive them and review them, I'll include them in my chart at www.deepsouthdivers.org/gloves.jpg.

I'd especially be interested in a comparison of them to the SHOWA 720.

What gloves have you dived in the past?
The SHOWA rates the 3415 at a 3, I believe that the same as the 720, I have these and a pair of 3416 which are pretty stiff so I’m thinking of trying the 3415 first. I’m not scraping hulls so the extra toughness is probably less important to my use than the increased flexibility. No blue or orange gloves for me :wink:

I get a lot of creasing as I roll the glove onto the ring, have you had this and isn’t it a point for leaking?

Hm. An EN388 cut rating of 3 would be great.

Where are you seeing the rating?

According to the European website, the gloves have an EN388 rating of "3031," which is "3" for abrasion, "0" for cuts, "3" for tears, and "1" for punctures. These are ratings 0-5, by the way.

SHOWA 3415 | Showa Gloves

The US website mirrors the same rating.

SHOWA - Official Glove Manufacturer | 3415

The 720 has a rating of "3132," which is a "3" for abrasion, "1" for cuts, "3" for tears, and "2" for punctures... Meaning that they're one level up for cut protection and two levels up for puncture protection... And while one level up doesn't sound like much, it's actually quite a significant jump.

Yes, a point of creasing IS very likely to cause a leak. The gloves must sit smooth in the groove on the ring in order to prevent leaks. You can smooth out creases by working the gloves in and out like you see me do here at the 6:10 mark:

It helps a lot to adjust the glove if your black o-ring is really well lubricated before installation.

I ordered a pair of 720-9s and they turned out to be a little too short in the fingers. So I ordered in a couple pairs each of the 720s and 3416s in -10s. Both fit nicely over the "Icebreaker Oasis 200" merino liners that got to start out.

OT a bit, but the 720-9s do make awesome CV19 shopping goves. Washable and easy to slip in and out of to avoid cross contamination.

All I need now is several hours to tackle it, fortunately I have a lot of time.

I’m not worried about cut resistance for the most part, I wear them to keep my hands warm primarily. These seem to be close the the 720 as far as flexibility and not blue.

I’m not worried about cut resistance for the most part, I wear them to keep my hands warm primarily. These seem to be close the the 720 as far as flexibility and not blue.

Remove the glove from the ring, lube up the black o-ring, and reinstall. Shouldn't take but a couple of minutes to do... And if your o-ring is lubed, you should be able to slide the gloves just enough to smooth everything out.

Be forewarned that you'll only be able to move the gloves once or twice before the lube wears off and the gloves won't move anymore... Which is a good thing. :D

Warm up the o-rings by putting them in a bowl or mug of hot water for 3 to 5 minutes. Also, spray some soapy water on the ring first...it will help the gloves slide under the o-ring if you need to straighten it or pull more cuff through.

-Z

Warm up the o-rings by putting them in a bowl or mug of hot water for 3 to 5 minutes. Also, spray some soapy water on the ring first...it will help the gloves slide under the o-ring if you need to straighten it or pull more cuff through.

-Z
Thanks Zef, that is the plan, like the day spent with the ellipse gloves, I just need to plan for a few days of aching hands :wink:

Thanks Zef, that is the plan, like the day spent with the ellipse gloves, I just need to plan for a few days of aching hands :wink:

The Ellipse were much easier to mount gloves on...but that is probably because I learned on the Ultima rings.

-Z

Back
Top Bottom