Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Max,

I did exactly the same way but the problem looks came from the rings between suit ring and glove ring, yesterday I inflate suit and submerged cuff, air leaks appeared between the rings, from brown o-ring may be? but all is brand new.

Based on your videos, it appears that the leak is between the suit's soft glued-in ring and the hard suit-side ring. These two are sealed by the silicone wrist seal that you're using... Therefore, I believe that your silicone wrist seal needs to be remounted.

Remove the glove and it's hard ring from the suit. Remove the cosmetic hard rubber ring... Then remove the hard suit-side ring that the glove rings seal against. This will expose the suit's soft ring and the silicone wrist seal will fall out.

Reinstall the silicone wrist seal using the lip of the wrist seal to hold it in place. I like to put a little bit of silicone lube or Christolube on the OUTSIDE of the seal only to make it more supple and make it easier to slide the hard ring into the soft suit-side ring without it losing grip on the hard ring. I also use the outside-most groove to hook the seal in... So that it has maximum sealing surface.

You must be very careful during installation to make sure that you do not bunch up the silicone wrist seal... Which will cause this type of leak.

Once that is done, you can "lock" the hard ring in place using the hard rubber cosmetic ring.

Smooth placement of this wrist seal is of paramount importance to prevent leaks. Any wrinkle or "miss" during the installation of the wrist seal will cause a leak.

Let us know if this fixes the problem.

A few more questions and pointers:

1. Your glued-in, soft suit-side rings are from the QCS Oval system, right? The QCP Round system's glued-in soft rings are not the same and do not fit.

2. Should you decide to dive "sealless," you will still need to have a seal in there in order to keep things watertight. I simply trimmed my seals all the way back to the rings. In this way, diving "sealless" is really a misnomer. The seal is still there - it's just very trimmed back.

3. Leak-testing a drysuit should always be done with the suit turned inside-out, since the problem is always water coming INTO the suit - not air going OUT. Often a leak will only leak one-way... So the suit needs to be turned inside-out for testing.

4. Those latex gloves have only one advantage over the SHOWA 720s... That they're super easy to install. Other than that, they're cold (necessitating undetgloves) and very fragile compared to the 720s. I recommend the $7 upgrade to the SHOWA 720 as soon as you are able.

Good luck with this issue. Keep us posted.

So the water has warmed up here a bit, and I’ve been able to dive the last couple of days, 46f and 128 minutes today. My right glove, 620, has had a small leak, so I put back on the 720.

So next time out I will be able to compare head to head the 620 with the 720, for warmth, with the G1’s under. I’ll post up.

Has anyone found that the G1 wears with time and gets a little compressed, possibly losing some of its insulation? I’ve had mine for a couple of years now.

I haven't put a lpt of time on G1s... But I can tell you that of the two, I definitely prefer the new Xerotherm glove by FourthElement over the G1. Better fit and feel... And just about as warm.

In fact, I'm a big fan of everything Xerotherm. Great undergarment... Althougb at 46°, you may find it a bit too light, especially if you're diving a trilam suit.

Another interesting point is this: You may find the 720 gloves to be so much warmer (yet thinner - and yet more durable) than a 620 that you may decide to forego an underglove altogether.

Personally, at 46°, I'd recommend a 720 with a Xerotherm underneath. I think you'll find that warm and supple and very durable... Much better than the 620 and G1 combination.

Keep us posted and let us know your findings.

You convinced me, and was going to pull the trigger on the xerotherm gloves.

My luck, out of stock.

They're brand new... So it doesn't surprise me.

I buy from FourthElement.com directly. They have them.

I looked at doing that, it just has a directory for stores, I can’t see a way to order directly from them.

I think I called them... 207-935-1670. Call them tomorrow during business hours. They're in Maine and are in the Eastern Time Zone.

I don't remember if I ordered from them directly or not, now that you mention it... But if they can't sell directly they can at least direct you to someone that has the Xerotherm underglove in stock.

I may have ordered mine from Dive Right In Scuba, now that I think about it. I do a lot of business with them already and may have done that.

Hello everybody,
I would like to thanks for advises
Latest news regarding the rings, seller has requested send back ring kit for failure testing. So I didn't perform re-installation of silicone wrist seals. It will be done when rings will be back.
My dry suit Waterproof D7 Pro have ISS system, integrated silicone seals, I used Antares oval dry glove system with, that was perfectly fit.

Diving sealless is most comfortable, if the new rings will perform better I would do it.
Showa 720 ordered as well now awaiting delivery.

Will update when rings arrived.

SeaJay
Many thanks again
With best regards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom