Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That’s a good thought, I think seajay would say that is correct, I think I would like to try it.

I have the silicone wrist seals in my sitech oval/ultima system, I think they are $35. I would hate to cut them. What other seals could I use to cut off/less expensive?

There are frequently cheap latex seals on Ebay. I used Merry's old seals when she replaced them. All you need is the bottom two inches.

I've gone without seals for several years now. I had a few floods when I punctured a glove, but since I switched to 720s last year I haven't had any issues.

Wow, Showa came through with the glove samples! I am so grateful they would send those to me. I got size 7 and 8 (they say small and medium). I think the size 8s will be the right size, because the 7s have very short fingers. The 720s look very nice! I also got a set of 660s and 282s. Now I just need to try to mount one of the 720s.

Will any seals work, or do they have to be the sitech ones with the small lip on them ?

Any seals will work. The si-tech ones with the small lip on them just make them easier to initially line up during installation, but it is not necessary.

-Z

Yesterday after work I doffed my suit and had a little moisture around my right wrist. My base layer seemed a little damp.

Xerotherm undergarment seemed dry... I think. Not sure.

...So I went to test my 720 for leaks. This one's got like 250 dives on it (all working dives around boats and barnacles and oysters and such), so I expected to have to change it.

I did the same procedure as I did in the video a few posts ago... Pull everything apart, wash with Dawn and a brush (using a fingernail brush now), relube the O-rings, and install a new 720.

...But before I threw my old glove away, I wanted to see if I could find the leak.

...So I turned the glove inside-out (can't do THAT with 660s) and filled it full of water and held the glove closed while I pressed on it. Usually water will squirt out of a hole somewhere.

No leak.

I'm going to assume that either I was imagining things - or the base layer was wet when I donned. Or maybe it was sweat... Or maybe I got a leak through the O-ring or something, since that was really dry.

Whatever it was, I apparently fixed it. That same ring with the new glove dove dry as a bone today.

Point is... If you've ever wet the inside of a 660 - or a $180 DUI ZipGlove - you KNOW what a problem these things are to get dry again.

The 720's acrylic liner was dry in an hour... Probably because the glove can be turned inside-out... And because there is no cotton inside of the glove. :)

Love these gloves :)

Reactions: Zef
Alright, moment of truth, y'all!

I used the video from Becky9 Method 1 to install the 720s on my Santi Smart Gloves rings. I didn't trim the wavy edge of the glove. I used the size 8, which fit best with my undergloves.

I thought I wasn't going to be able to do it! The cuff opening of the glove is not as big as the Santi ring. However, the Santi rings are flexible, so I stretched the glove and stretched the glove and squished the ring and after about 10 minutes I was able to get the glove over the end of the ring. In the video she was using size 9 or 10 gloves I think, which just slipped right on.

Anyway, got the glove mounted (the rest of the process is easy with the Santi rings, no jig or swearing required) and it looks very sharp! :) I'm going to the pool tonight with one 720 and one Ansell G17K (which is like the Showa 723, which may be discontinued, as I can't find them on Showa's website anymore). Those are black "chemical resistant" neoprene / latex gloves. I guess they are discontinuing all latex?

I sure hope they don't stop making latex seals for drysuits. I like mine.

So, stay tuned and I'll tell ya how the pool session goes and upload a few pics later.

I used the video from Becky9 Method 1 to install the 720s on my Santi Smart Gloves rings. I didn't trim the wavy edge of the glove. I used the size 8, which fit best with my undergloves.

I thought I wasn't going to be able to do it! The cuff opening of the glove is not as big as the Santi ring. However, the Santi rings are flexible, so I stretched the glove and stretched the glove and squished the ring and after about 10 minutes I was able to get the glove over the end of the ring. In the video she was using size 9 or 10 gloves I think, which just slipped right on.

Anyway, got the glove mounted (the rest of the process is easy with the Santi rings, no jig or swearing required) and it looks very sharp! :) I'm going to the pool tonight with one 720 and one Ansell G17K (which is like the Showa 723, which may be discontinued, as I can't find them on Showa's website anymore). Those are black "chemical resistant" neoprene / latex gloves. I guess they are discontinuing all latex?

I sure hope they don't stop making latex seals for drysuits. I like mine.

So, stay tuned and I'll tell ya how the pool session goes and upload a few pics later.

I can't wait to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly! Yes, pics please! :)

Specifically, I want to hear your take on the warmth difference between the two gloves... And the dexterity offered in using a 720 without an underglove.

Nice job on gettimg them on... Yeah, it's a little more involved.

Let us know if this helps with valve drills.

To answer your questions about the gloves:

The Ansell G17K is latex. Durability isn't bad - but it's not as good as the 720... Causes some people with latex allergies issues... And will degrade over time as latex does. Ansell gloves tend to fit shorter, stubbier hands, too... Exactly opposite of what you said you needed

The SHOWA 723 is indeed discontinued. It was a neoprene glove (not blown/foam wetsuit neoprene). It has low resistance against abrasions, cuts, tears, and punctures... But probably fits pretty well. Aside from being all black and having a different liner, it probably feels a lot like the 720.

...Except that the 720 will be more durable and warmer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom