Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried the nsk24 XL but they were too small for my large hands. I went with the 720 XL and they were much better. I later found some XXLs which I use now. They fit perfectly with Xerotherm gloves inside.

So you found some nsk24 that were xxl or 720 xxl? Which ones are you diving? I need the xxl nsk24, the 720 xxl is not big enough otherwise I'd go with it just based on seajays rec.

5633EB41-8EF9-4F1D-9F9B-39CEECCC3359.jpeg

nsk24 loaded up. I cut the wrist back about 2". I realized that the material was tougher than I thought. Much tougher to cut than 620 for sure. Not to bad to load up, only took me a couple of minutes. While rolling back the wrist and straightening them out is was clear the material was tougher. One concern is there is a seam that runs the length of the glove on the little finger side. The glove is very smooth on the outside, so should seal well despite the inside seam. They are very comfortable. Will post up when I get them in the water. And I like the color.

I didn't know that the NSK24's weren't seamless like the 720s - sorry I missed that detail. I assume that you did the trimming thing if it was necessary? Maybe it wasn't even necessary.

Man they look great on the rings. I love the slight difference in blues between gloves. The outer texture is super cool and my bet is that they're great in terms of wet grip.

Yeah, big difference between 720s and NSK24s (nitrile) vs. 660s and 620s (PVC) relative to cut resistance and tear resistance. They're also stretchier, warmer, and give more tactile function and dexterity. Nitrile is definitely good stuff - and comparatively the new kid on the block regarding glove materials. Not as new as polyurethane (PU - the stuff the 281s and 282s are made of), but a lot newer than PVC.

I can't wait to ready your review and comparison of the NSK24s against the 720s and 379s. All three are nitrile (tough, stretchy, and dexterous), but go about the design a little differently in terms of fit and features (not to mention color).

Reactions: Zef
Finally dove the 720 in the ocean today. I dove with one of those and one Ansell G17K (black latex "dishwashing" glove). The 720 was warmer and it was superior in wiping snot off my face after the dive because of the texture. The Ansells are useless for snot-wiping. (TMI?) I had been worried the 720 would leak but it did great.

I told myself on the last dive of the day, I'd try the 720 with no liner since SeaJay recommended it. But, I wimped out and didn't. :) Another day maybe.

I still find myself pre-cringing for that rush of cold water when I reach back to dump my wing. Every time I am pleasantly surprised there isn't one.

On the first dive, I didn't put the edges of my undergarment under my wrist seals, and I was planning to be able to equalize the gloves just by moving my wrists, since that always used to let cold water up my sleeves. It didn't work, though! We went to 100 feet and my hands were pretty squeezed. It wasn't too uncomfortable and I could still use my hands, but for the next dive I went back to putting some of the undergarment cuff under the seals. I've tried straws before and found them uncomfortable and pokey.

So I'm a 720 convert! It was so nice to get that pair of gloves for FREE! Thanks for all the tips SeaJay and everyone. :)

Finally dove the 720 in the ocean today. I dove with one of those and one Ansell G17K (black latex "dishwashing" glove). The 720 was warmer and it was superior in wiping snot off my face after the dive because of the texture. The Ansells are useless for snot-wiping. (TMI?) I had been worried the 720 would leak but it did great.

I told myself on the last dive of the day, I'd try the 720 with no liner since SeaJay recommended it. But, I wimped out and didn't. :) Another day maybe.

I still find myself pre-cringing for that rush of cold water when I reach back to dump my wing. Every time I am pleasantly surprised there isn't one.

On the first dive, I didn't put the edges of my undergarment under my wrist seals, and I was planning to be able to equalize the gloves just by moving my wrists, since that always used to let cold water up my sleeves. It didn't work, though! We went to 100 feet and my hands were pretty squeezed. It wasn't too uncomfortable and I could still use my hands, but for the next dive I went back to putting some of the undergarment cuff under the seals. I've tried straws before and found them uncomfortable and pokey.

So I'm a 720 convert! It was so nice to get that pair of gloves for FREE! Thanks for all the tips SeaJay and everyone. :)

Awesome. :)

Yeah, the 720's are a ton more puncture-resistant, too... Way more trustworthy than the Ansell G17Ks... And like you noticed, much warmer. Ah, the magic of nitrile. :)

I hadn't noticed the snot-wiping feature, (LOL), but suffice to say that they have a better texture, which improves wet grip, especially in oily situations. This is a big deal to me as a salvor, where it's common to have engine oil and diesel fuel in the water. But referring to it as a "snot-feature" is more fun. :)

I'm also interested in finding out whether you installed the 720s SANTI-style or "foldover" style. Which one works best?

Why were you expecting a cold water rush when you reached back to dump your wing? Is this something that you normally experience with the Ansell G17Ks?

As you and I discussed, I don't dive with any wrist seals at all anymore - but back when I did, I pulled the thumb loop through the seal instead of using the little tubes too. The thumb loop seemed to work just as well as the little tubes, and there was nothing to lose, unlike the tubes. Less gear = simpler and more minimalistic, which stays more consistent with my GUE training. It makes sense that just situating the undergarment a little bit under the seal would be synonymous with the idea of staging the thumb loop... Generally, a better idea than the tubes.

Of course, with no seals at all the system has zero problems migrating air into the and out of the gloves... Which is a great thing if you dive with minimal air in the suit (eg with the exhaust valve fully open). It would NOT be a great thing if you use your suit as your buoyancy control device and run with the suit partially inflated (eg a few clicks or more closed)... It would result in a quickly inflated glove every time you reached up and elevated your hands above the rest of your body (which for me is often, as I'm daily under a boat, on my back and reaching up to work on the underside of the hull).

Reactions: Zef
I take photos on every dive, sometimes having to hold my rig above my head. I usually dive from my own boat where I have to reach up for the ladder. Since switching to the 720s, I haven't had a problem with gloves popping off.

I hate taking my suit off with wrist seals. I have really large hands and the last thing I want to do is struggle to get out of my drysuit. Having gloves I trust not to leak makes removing wrist seals a no-brainer.

Back
Top Bottom