Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@laikabear How did you install your 720 gloves? I remember you have Santi ring system?

I used the video from Becky9 Method 1 to install the 720s on my Santi Smart Gloves rings. I didn't trim the wavy edge of the glove. I used the size 8, which fit best with my undergloves.

I thought I wasn't going to be able to do it! The cuff opening of the glove is not as big as the Santi ring. However, the Santi rings are flexible, so I stretched the glove and stretched the glove and squished the ring and after about 10 minutes I was able to get the glove over the end of the ring. In the video she was using size 9 or 10 gloves I think, which just slipped right on.

Anyway, got the glove mounted (the rest of the process is easy with the Santi rings, no jig or swearing required) and it looks very sharp! [/QUOTE]

Latest video is up of some work that I did while wearing the Ultimas and 720s:

We're on our third day at God's Pocket and Merry is very happy with her 720s. She resisted dry gloves for so many years after a disastrous first attempt, but her hands are warm and happy on this trip.

Awesome. :)

A87236AC-1CA2-41F6-AF10-C399C777C7AA.jpeg

The weather has been awful here lately, but I couldn’t stand it anymore, so I was able to get out, it’s about 40, rainy and miserable, but the ice is gone.

First time with the nsk24’s in the water. And it was a success.

They fit, they were dry, hands were reasonably warm with the water temp at 38f for 70 minutes. The dexterity was ok, what I noticed they seem to stiffen up a bit with the cold, maybe it was just me, haha, and they seemed to hold there shape better with a little bit off squeeze. I liked that because they didn’t push out all the air of my undergloves and left me with some circulation. I’ll run them for a bit and post up.

Better than PVC (660s, 620s, 495s, 490s, etc)?

The fit is the same as the pvc gloves, the 620 dexterity may be a bit better, both are dry, I’m hoping over time the nsk24 is tougher and warmer. But I do like that they hold there shape better under the water.

Once it gets a little warmer, and I can get in the water a little more often, I’ll be able to compare better. It snowed here again last night, so it will be a few weeks still I’m thinking. My buddy that I dove with yest is in rubber latex gloves, his hands are a bit smaller than mine, so I’ll swap him out to 720’s and make him a convert.

Aw man, after testing out the 720s for several dives (I had 720 right hand and old latex glove left hand), I decided to mount the 720 on the left side last night for a shore dive this AM. It's really a b**** getting that glove on the ring because the diameter of the wrist on the glove is so small. I think it would be much easier with a larger size. I wrestled with it for about 20 minutes, and finally got it all set up. But, just to be safe, I didn't vent that glove when I geared up this AM.

Glad I didn't because it leaked. :( My arm got a little wet from wrist seal channeling but it wasn't too bad. And the thick wool underglove I use was very nice - still kept my hand from freezing into a solid block of ice while wet. So, time to try to re-mount that glove. I know they will be very durable and I like them a lot, but mounting them is way harder than the latex gloves. I'd never be able to do it on a boat.

I've been using Seajay's method. I have it down to less than ten seconds to mount the glove and then about a minute to adjust it until it's flat against the ring.

I've been using Seajay's method. I have it down to less than ten seconds to mount the glove and then about a minute to adjust it until it's flat against the ring.

Hi Max,

I have a different system than you guys do. The Santi Smart seals have somewhat flexible rings, not hard ones.

There are 2 methods to install these types of gloves (that I am aware of). One is the usual Santi method ("method 1") which I used successfully for the right hand glove. The other method ("method 2") involves a jig. I think I just rushed and didn't get the folded part of the glove perfect. I tried again and this time it was easier since the glove was stretched out from being on the ring overnight, and I hit it with a hairdryer for a minute (brilliant idea, why didn't I think of that at midnight last night?).

If the glove leaks again I may need to resort to the jig method, but I'd rather avoid it so I don't have to find an item to use as a jig. I guess it's a trip to the hardware store for some PVC if that becomes needed. Becky used a 3D printer and I don't have access to one so that idea is out.

I reached out to Kasia at DRIS hoping that I can buy a 2nd set of the glove side rings. It would be REALLY nice to load up a 2nd set of gloves and have those hanging out in the drysuit bag. Actually the whole system is only $108 (I remembered it being more) so even if she says no, I might buy a 2nd system just to have the 2nd set of gloves. I mean, when in scuba is ANYTHING $100 other than a bolt snap? :wink:

BTW, I bought your book recently... had it in my Amazon cart for a long time. I love all the photos. There are so many sites listed I knew nothing about! I'm going to see if I can convince some of the gang to do some single tank days where we can explore some of the more esoteric / challenging entries... :) We usually stick to the Laguna sites or Vet's Park since the entries are easier with doubles. But maybe it's time to switch things up a bit.

Back
Top Bottom