Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Zef I gave SiTech plenty of my money through the years and was never happy with their systems. Believe it or not; I actually LOVE the Waterproof Ultima Dry Glove System. I just happen to have an equal amount of hate for the install process of the gloves. That said, once the gloves are installed, it's a dream to use. They don / and doff easily and I've never had a leak at the seal. I ended up re-installing all four gloves this evening (once I perfected my method). Here's another video shot in the dark in the middle of the night (hence my username). It's shows start to finish (including some of my struggles) of how I built my jib and how I use it to install my gloves on the ring system.

Thanks for making and sharing your video. Could you possibly measure the inner and outer diameter of the coupler piece you insert into the glove in millimeters please?

Also, do you think it would be beneficial to use a dremel with a grinding or sanding stone to make a shallow groove to help retain the o-ring?

-Z

The outside diameter is what matters, and that is between 127-128mm (or about 5"). I think I created a small bit of confusion, as in my second video/post I referred to the coupler as 5" which is correct when referring to the outside diameter (which I had just measured); but no one refers to them that way. When you go to the store and purchase it, you are buying a 4" coupler, as that is the size (of the inside diameter) of the pipe that fits into the coupler.

If you can't find a fitting that same size, get the closest one that is slightly bigger (you don't want to go smaller as that will create problems).

Here's a link to the product I used: NIBCO 4 in. PVC DWV Coupling-C4801HD4 - The Home Depot

As for the shallow groove, I think a grinder would be the way to go, as it would be hard to create an even line freehand with a dremel. The problem is at the end of the process, you need to slide the o-ring down and that groove that helped you retain it may also prevent you for easily sliding it down. Might be worth a try though!

Reactions: Zef
The outside diameter is what matters, and that is between 127-128mm (or about 5"). I think I created a small bit of confusion, as in my second video/post I referred to the coupler as 5" which is correct when referring to the outside diameter (which I had just measured); but no one refers to them that way. When you go to the store and purchase it, you are buying a 4" coupler, as that is the size (of the inside diameter) of the pipe that fits into the coupler.

If you can't find a fitting that same size, get the closest one that is slightly bigger (you don't want to go smaller as that will create problems).

Here's a link to the product I used: NIBCO 4 in. PVC DWV Coupling-C4801HD4 - The Home Depot

Thank you very much...I had made a jig similar to what you made (the split ring that you insert into the glove) but I purchased a piece of PVC that was too small because the measurement, as I found out, is internal diameter.

I noted in one one of your videos that you mentioned 4-inch coupler and just wanted to make sure how you measured that and since you might have re-measured it I figured I would also ask if you could measure it in MM....score on all accounts.

Thanks for your help, and great videos btw.

Cheers,
-Z

I know this is the Ultima dryglove thread which is going on but does anyone have experience with the virgo system? Im looking at using the ultima or virgo with my Fusion SLT system. Thanks!

Using Seajay's installation method, I have finally got it down to less than a minute to install a dry glove on the Ultima rings without a jig. I prefer to push the glove on away from me rather than toward me, but your mileage may vary. It would have been quicker, but I pulled one section back to shorten it.

Slick!! Great video.

Gonna try the push method. Looks slicker than the pull method.

For me, the key is holding the first half of the glove/o-ring assembly with one hand between my thumb and forefinger - then using my other hand to walk the glove/o-ring a little bit at a time. Then I move my first hand... Thus "walking" the glove/o-ring over the Ultima ring. Your mileage may vary.

Your video maybe the quickest, slickest way I've ever seen a glove installed on an Ultima Dryglove Ring.

Reactions: Zef
I thought about doing a second take after having to adjust one section. I can actually do it in less than thirty seconds now. All those wasted years of struggling. :)

Can someone tell me the diameter of the ultima suit rings? I have the old skaana system which looks darn similar and I'm wondering if my rings would work in the sitech ovals.

Ok all, I managed to track down a suit with QCS ovals and tried inserting my old Skaana rings and they did fit, but I didn't put in a seal with them. It will probably be pretty tight with a seal around it.

I have a question for @Deep South Divers. I know you dive without wrist seals... Do you need something between the ultima ring and the suit ring to improve the seal or does it seal as is?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom