Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can answer that for you. It will not seal. I use an old pair of seals, install the suit rings, then cut the seals so I can get my hands through the rings easily.

You will need some of your wrist seal, either being the whole thing, some of it or cut back to just the 1 inch piece that fits in between. Also make sure they are in fairly “ok” condition or they will leak, like mine did this last weekend :banghead:

Hey wwunder!

Sorry I didn't get to measure those rings for you... As the weather has warmed, I've gotten slammed and haven't been able to get to all the clients that need me. It just slipped my mind. Frankly, I was hoping someone else would be willing to get the measurement. :D

Glad to know that you found a suit that you could try your rings out on... Because ultimately, a measurement would have only told you if it was close or not - the truth is in the way the system fits together. I'm thrilled to find out that it does.

My system is "sealless," but that's really a misnomer. I've simply trimmed my seals all the way back to the plastic rings. The seal is still between the suit-side Ultima ring and the glued-on SiTech soft ring on the suit. It is necessary for things to seal properly.

Either latex or silicone can be used and seals great. I used silicone seals on mine because I find the little lip on a silicone seal helps keep things in place during install better. I also find that silicone is more resistant to UV and ozone degredation - which means that the silicone should last longer than latex, which gets stiff and brown or tacky and sticky with age. Of course, those issues are with EXPOSED latex, and with it between the hard suit-side ring and the glued-in soft ring, there'd be no exposure of the latex... But I digress - I chose to use silicone because I trust it more during install and in terms of longevity.

There's lots of little intricacies on how to do it. Frankly, you could probably just install a wrist seal like normal, then cut it back as far as you can... But I like a neater job and want to make sure that there's no nicks in the edge that I cut, so I trace a line, make the cut, then install just a ring of seal onto the hard ring... And then press it into the suit. For further explanation, here's a video of the installation of "sealless" Ultima Dryglove rings:

Reactions: Zef
Awesome, Thanks! I have been going seal-less with them for a few years by stretching the seal over the whole ring and securing with an oring. Starting to think of getting a new suit and getting the QCS ovals so I don't have any seal glued to the suit anymore.

Oh, that's an awesome idea... Sure makes donning and doffing easy, doesn't it? I mean, wrist seals didn't do me any good anyway. I might as well just cut them off to make donning and doffing easier. :D

Dove my Ultimas with 720s today in a quarry, 9-10 degrees celsius and we did a 50 minute dive where we mostly stayed still in the water (training hovering).
Didn't use any gloves under them, just straight up nitrile awesomeness.
Did not freeze a single bit, my hands didn't even get a little bit cold or chilly.
I have the wrist seals still installed, guessing my hands would get even warmer if I were to cut them back.
Absolutely love this combo!
Next step is to cut the seals I guess, still too much of a chicken to do it though :D

I learned a little trick last week when I was diving Scapa Flow (more on that later) and for some reason the left glove leaked on day one and the right on day two. Using the 720s I found them to be a bit damp on the third day, so I stopped by the store (Co-op) and picked up a couple of bags 1lb of rice. I poured one bag into each glove. Left over night they dried out my gloves pretty good.

A new item to go in my save a dive kit(+). Good thing I have lots of room in my truck:D:D:D

I've been reading this thread all winter as I've debated replacing my current dry gloves with something I can more easily don myself. I found some lightly used Ultima's that I've just received and I'm working on the installation. Thanks to @Deep South Divers and @MaxBottomtime for the glove installation videos. If I hadn't seen the videos I'm not sure I would have believed it was possible to get gloves installed on the rings, it was a bit of a struggle to get that first glove installed. A fresh pair of 720's are now installed and I'm hoping to get a chance to dive them this weekend.

That's awesome. :) I'm thrilled that our efforts have helped others. :D

You'll love them. :D

Reactions: Zef
I learned a little trick last week when I was diving Scapa Flow (more on that later) and for some reason the left glove leaked on day one and the right on day two. Using the 720s I found them to be a bit damp on the third day, so I stopped by the store (Co-op) and picked up a couple of bags 1lb of rice. I poured one bag into each glove. Left over night they dried out my gloves pretty good.

A new item to go in my save a dive kit(+). Good thing I have lots of room in my truck:D:D:D

Great trick... I used to do that sometimes in my 620s.

There's no doubt that between perspiration and condensation, the interior of gloves are going to end up a little moist, especially after a few consecutive dives. I used to do the same thing back when I was using the SHOWA 620s and 660s.

The 720s dry faster because the flock inside the gloves is made of acrylic (wicking material) rather than cotton (which tends to absorb and hold moisture).

...But here's the real beauty of the 720s... You don't even need rice. Simply invert the glove inside-out (which can be done because nitrile is so much softer and stretchier than PVC) and they'll dry in a few hours. Leave them in the sun on a dry day and they'll be dry in minutes.

No need for rice. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom