Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I purchased mine locally. They look like the ones in the picture below but it seems that may be a discontinued design. The Storm liner gloves are still made by Dakine but they have changed the colors and pattern of the grippy stuff on the palm/fingers:

Amazon.com: Dakine Womens Storm Liner Gloves: Clothing

View attachment 521792

-Z

Thank you my friend!

Yeah, clearly there's a lot of undergloves like the 4thE Xerotherm undrgloves out there. Good stuff!

Thanks for the suggestion/review!

Did a bunch of dives this weekend with my D7X and Ultimas, lots of stretching my arms in stupid ways trying to push the limits of my gloves.
Didn't even get close to popping them off no matter how I tried, absolutely rock solid seal despite them being relatively easy to doff after a dive.

(snip)

I did some 40-50 min dives in the 9-13 degrees celsius range and didn't feel cold despite not using any gloves under my 720s.
Still absolutely blown away at how good this system is, absolute joy to dive with!

Awesome. My findings too.

The acrylic liner already inside the glove - combined with the natural warmth of nitrile - seems to do a pretty great job on its own of keeping hands warm... And if you want more, add a thin fleece underglove like one of those suggested above and you're golden.

Like you, I'm thrilled with the system - and warm and dry - even on my forearms and elbows.

Love it!

Now that the air temp where I am is warming up (32c air temp / 10c water temp) the Ultimas seem easier to pry apart after diving.

-Z

You're supposed to have the thumb loops looped around your thumbs to keep them from retracting. Once you get used to the gloves and trust them, you may want to try cutting off the seals.
I know but that's just so awfully uncomfortable to be honest, I'm gonna give the tubes a go and if they don't cut it I guess I'll have to trim my seals back :D

I had the same discomfort before. I then began wearing the thumb loops over the glove liners and the pain went away.
I don't use any glove liners, yet :wink:
Didn't feel any need for it so far, been using my 720s down to 9 degrees celsius and it's been fine with no liner.
Gonna be a good couple months before we'll see temps lower than that here, by then I've hopefully manned up and trimmed my seals back :D

I don't use any glove liners, yet :wink:
Didn't feel any need for it so far, been using my 720s down to 9 degrees celsius and it's been fine with no liner.
Gonna be a good couple months before we'll see temps lower than that here, by then I've hopefully manned up and trimmed my seals back :D

A few pages ago we were talking about exactly that... To use an underglove or to not use an underglove (that is the question). :D

Latex drygloves that many people are used to have virtually zero thermal protection... So most divers that use those are accustomed to wearing an underglove under the latex dryglove, and simply can't imagine doing it any other way. Indeed, if they ditched their undergloves, their hands would get quite cold.

Nitrile gloves like the 720s have much better insulative properties... And unlike most latex gloves, a smooth, soft acrylic liner built into the glove too. The bottom line is that the 720s can be worn undergloveless and still provide a reasonable amount of warmth and comfort, even without any sort of underglove at all. The acrylic liner does a nice job of staying clean and dries fast, too... Because it's basically "wicking" material.

The cool part is this: Even though a "Marigold" style latex glove is thinner and more dexterous than a nitrile glove like the SHOWA 720, a nitrile glove is thinner and more dexterous than a latex glove stuffed with an underglove, even though the warmth is about the same. So if we're comparing apples to apples, you'll actually get better fit, feel, and finger function out of a nitrile glove compared to a latex glove equipped with an underglove at the same water temperature. This is counterintuitive, but true.

...But should you want additional warmth or the general plush feel of an underglove in your nitrile 720, you can do exactly that... Use one of the fleece undergloves listed... Fourth Element's Xerotherm underglove, Burton's, or the latest one above. Basically it's like wearing socks with your Sperry Topsiders... Not really necessary, but some people like it, and yeah, when it's really cold out they're nice to have. :D

A few pages ago we were talking about exactly that... To use an underglove or to not use an underglove (that is the question). :D

Latex drygloves that many people are used to have virtually zero thermal protection... So most divers that use those are accustomed to wearing an underglove under the latex dryglove, and simply can't imagine doing it any other way. Indeed, if they ditched their undergloves, their hands would get quite cold.

Nitrile gloves like the 720s have much better insulative properties... And unlike most latex gloves, a smooth, soft acrylic liner built into the glove too. The bottom line is that the 720s can be worn undergloveless and still provide a reasonable amount of warmth and comfort, even without any sort of underglove at all. The acrylic liner does a nice job of staying clean and dries fast, too... Because it's basically "wicking" material.

The cool part is this: Even though a "Marigold" style latex glove is thinner and more dexterous than a nitrile glove like the SHOWA 720, a nitrile glove is thinner and more dexterous than a latex glove stuffed with an underglove, even though the warmth is about the same. So if we're comparing apples to apples, you'll actually get better fit, feel, and finger function out of a nitrile glove compared to a latex glove equipped with an underglove at the same water temperature. This is counterintuitive, but true.

...But should you want additional warmth or the general plush feel of an underglove in your nitrile 720, you can do exactly that... Use one of the fleece undergloves listed... Fourth Element's Xerotherm underglove, Burton's, or the latest one above. Basically it's like wearing socks with your Sperry Topsiders... Not really necessary, but some people like it, and yeah, when it's really cold out they're nice to have. :D

I believe this to be true if the gloves arenot squeezed down around ones hands. when diving with seals cut back there is constant transfer of warm air entering the gloves, so the hands stay warm and thermally protected by the nitrile and acrylic layer. If diving with seals the glove tends to squeeze around the hand even when using tubes and in cold water the hands eventually become cold due to heat transfer to the water. Perhaps thus occurs faster with latex and vinyl gloves but I find I still prefer/need a layer of insulation in the 720s until the water temp gets to about 15c+.

-Z

That is exactly the same feeling I've had, got some strange looks on my last dive when I mentioned I didn't have an underglove, "you're gonna freeze your balls off!".
Temps are just gonna keep going up here now until autumn so won't need to look at undergloves for quite a while, the 720s truly are amazing :)

I did just that (that's the Becky9 method #1 for Santi Rings I linked above). My first time I had no leaks, but when I mounted the 2nd glove, I wasn't as careful and it leaked on the first dive. I decided to give it another try because I really didn't want to do that jig method, and it had worked once! I dived with the gloves today and they are dry.

@laikabear have your glove stayed dry? I developed a leak again with my santi mounted 720s :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom