Ultrasonic cleaner recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks @rsingler. In the past I've just soaked the parts in white vinegar before rinsing and drying. I have heard of using muriatic acid as a substitute for white vinegar (iirc it isn't as harsh on chrome plating). Any experiences with that?

Well....go on, Mr. Fast Typist.
You do it, @couv
Some of us don't yet have the luxury of lingering over our morning scotch coffee.

@flymolo , I've only ever seen hydrochloric acid mentioned in Poseidon and, I think, old Sherwood manuals. Too harsh for me. It's quick, but I get forgetful. Not as bad as @couv , but I'd hate to come back to an old piece with thin chrome and just find brass.

Thanks @rsingler. In the past I've just soaked the parts in white vinegar before rinsing and drying. I have heard of using muriatic acid as a substitute for white vinegar (iirc it isn't as harsh on chrome plating). Any experiences with that?

I'm not at all an expert, but muriatic acid can etch concrete and is overall pretty harsh. Can't breath it, don't want it on your skin, much lower pH than vinegar. I would think vinegar would be a lot safer and readily available.

I use 50/50 vinegar/water on my rebuilds in a cheap U/S cleaner, so far so good.

You do it, @couv
Some of us don't yet have the luxury of lingering over our morning scotch coffee.

@flymolo , I've only ever seen hydrochloric acid mentioned in Poseidon and, I think, old Sherwood manuals. Too harsh for me. It's quick, but I get forgetful. Not as bad as @couv , but I'd hate to come back to an old piece with thin chrome and just find brass.

See the attached document. I basically use the method described by Pete Wolfinger in the Scubapro Technical Service Manual, October 01, 1994 except I substitute (heated) 15% phosphoric acid (by weight) in place of Hydrogen Chloride.

I purchase food grade phosphoric acid from:
Food Grade Phosphoric Acid, 85% Concentration | eBay

Pictures of my "Bucket Brigade" and homemade colander.

Bucket brigade.JPG
homemade colander.JPG

Attachments

• Regulator Cleaning.docx
    18.5 KB · Views: 92
What about citric acid? I use it for descaling my coffee machine. It comes in powder form so can be easily mixed to any concentration.You can get it at any grocery store since it's used in canning and candy making, but I prefer something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Jansal-Valle...citric+acid+powder+2lb&qid=1618330235&sr=8-10

Edit: To match the acidity of 50/50 vinegar/water, it looks like you'd use 4 Tablespoons (60ml) of citric acid powder per half gallon of water.

I bought a second Harbor Freight cleaner a couple months ago. I've been using my original one since 2010. It still works and heats up but I've been wondering if it has been doing as good of a job. So I got the second one. The new one I use with 50/50 vinegar and water. The older now has simple green mix in it for degreasing with heat and the ultrasonic function. The new one is a little quieter and seems to work a bit faster. I've rarely had to put anything through more than 2 180 second cycles.
I service between 50 and 75 regs a year and so they get a fair amount of use.

Back
Top Bottom