Ultrasonic Cleaning?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is the one I own:

517hKCUVwPL.jpg

http://smile.amazon.com/Kendal-Comm...453568277&sr=8-10&keywords=Ultrasonic+Cleaner

I'm thinking I'll get one of these. They make a 6L version but I just don't see me needing that much capacity, this should be plenty for anything I'm likely to do.

I'm thinking I'll get one of these. They make a 6L version but I just don't see me needing that much capacity, this should be plenty for anything I'm likely to do.
I can easily do a complete reg set or even a manifold (torn down). Like I said though, protect those buttons. If solution gets behind that panel, it will start to break down.

You won't like this, but here goes:

Save up for a Bransonic (or equivalent) ultrasonic bath. I used to be tech research support for a major pharm company. I repaired the industrial version of same as a favor. (I'm published, PM me.)

The best test is to put warm water into the tub and see how long it takes for the tone to change. The ultrasonic energy will knock the dissolved gasses out of solution and then the power goes onto the part and the temp rises.

Trick: put an asparagus can full of isopropanol into the buzzing solution. Put your part into that can for really hard to clean items. Dark secret: pyridine. (BEWARE! it kills any elastomer)

Anyway, a cheap buzzer from Harbor Freight isn't the same by a long, long shot. Crap.

DAMMIT!!!! I was so proud of my Chicago whateveritis.

I started out with the Harbor Freight 1.5l model. It's not powerful but its inexpensive and works fine for regulator cleaning and other small parts. You just need to let it run longer. I found a smoking deal on a new Crest 500 a few years back and use that now. There is no comparison between the two, the Crest fully cleans items quickly as it is quite a bit more powerful. If you find a deal on a lab quality ultrasonic it is nice to have

Sometimes you have to go cheap to get started, knowing you'll upgrade later. That ultimately is usually the more costly way to go. I'd rather spend enough to buy it once & be done. I don't need to tool up a shop that's going to be servicing gear every day but I do need something that when I use it will get the job done & hold up over time.

No, heard nothing. Let me know if you do hear anything and I'll stop doing it too.
Sometimes you have to go cheap to get started, knowing you'll upgrade later. That ultimately is usually the more costly way to go. I'd rather spend enough to buy it once & be done. I don't need to tool up a shop that's going to be servicing gear every day but I do need something that when I use it will get the job done & hold up over time.

We have different use cases. I've got 14 regs of my own - plus a lot of Valves and other blending / boosting kit that needs to be O2 cleaned regularly. Factory in the rental regs and customer regs I do for the dive shop where I teach - a professional grade cleaner was my choice. I waited some time for a good used unit - but didn't see one I liked.

You may still find an excellent deal on a used cleaner on eBay - if you're patient. From time to time a nice Bransonic or L&R comes around.

Factoring in the cost of specialized tools and and a test bench (at least a good IP gauge and recommend a magnehelic) - servicing your own regs becomes less about saving money - than about ensuring your gear is always tuned and you are able to make field repairs yourself.

Best of luck.

Factoring in the cost of specialized tools and and a test bench (at least a good IP gauge and recommend a magnehelic) - servicing your own regs becomes less about saving money - than about ensuring your gear is always tuned and you are able to make field repairs yourself.
It's more about making sure it's done right the very first time with no shortcuts. I'll take more care with my own gear than anyone else would.

Yet there still can be a savings realized. At $25/stage labor here, I can make up ground in the tools investment.

It's more about making sure it's done right the very first time with no shortcuts. I'll take more care with my own gear than anyone else would.

Pete, We see it differently. Perhaps your experiences have been considerably different than mine.

A competent, professional, mfg trained, repair technician using the proper tools will provide the best possible service for your gear.

A mechanically inclined end user who spends considerable time and money may eventually develop the experience and ability to do an equivalent job - but will do no better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom