Umbilical severed at 80 meters in North Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know it is an old thread but here is a video of the rescue from the ROV camera.

It says the video is no longer available due to a copyright claim.

A link to the documentary made by the company

This link says it's private.

I believe the production company is trying to keep tight leash on any of the ‘Bibby Offshore’ incident footage, as they are making a full length movie about the incident for public release later this year. Should be an interesting movie- they appear to have involvement with most of the key personnel...hopefully more ‘Pioneer’, less ‘Oceans of Fire’!

I’d be interested in that movie for sure! I watched the original rescue tape and was shocked at the mans composure and ability to stay alive without air for so long.

The lifeline video, while passed out to clients and contractors all over Europe, was a company financed documentary so I guess they didn’t want the footage out there.

The ‘good’ news though, is that the film production company has made a film of the incident called ‘Last Breath’. It is being shown at the Glasgow Film festival on Thursday and Friday, with a U.K. cinema release soon after. It was partly financed by Netflix and the BBC so I guess it will be shown on there sometime soon too.

Last Breath (N/C 12+) | Glasgow Film Theatre

Oh, and to answer this part of the thread (few pages ago now)

... And further whispers in Scotland - Divers pressurise HSE to force the development of a new rebreather system as bailout. Bet the Oil companies say they dont have the funds for R&D :wink:...
I can't imagine a rebreather that can be reliable as a bailout system in such a harsh and demanding environment -- though it would be great for tech divers. Besides, unlimited bailout gas does not solve the far bigger problem of hyporthermia.”

Meet the Divex COBRA system.

It’s first trial in European waters was on the Bibby Topaz last year. Admittedly, it’s not as ‘bulletproof’ as a steel twin set, but if it gives you up to an hour of warm gas as opposed to 5 mins of freezing cold gas, you can work out ways to look after it- after all, fingers and toes aren’t bullet-proof, and you can usually look after them..

Just to throw out, hypothermia (making someone cold) is now pretty standard treatment for any sort of hypoxic/anoxic incident. We use cooling blankets and make the entire body cold, because the brain gets some damage during time without oxygen, but there's even more damage upon reoxygenation and recovery, and hypothermia prevents much of that damage from happening.

What someone said about someone not being dead until they are warm and dead is absolutely true. Child or adult, no one should be calling the code until the person is warm enough to maintain metabolism. (though ideally not too warm to avoid those reperfusion injuries. Warm them up enough to resuscitate, then keep them cold for a couple more days)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom