Un-IDed specimens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ringojcp

Reaction score
if you guys have any pictures that has yet to be id, you can post them here or email them to me and I can id them for you. my credits you ask? Former marine science consultant and aquarium curator for NOAA, Tybee Island Marine Science Foundation and The City of Tybee
Just figure that I can share myself as a source
reptilians are also welcome

ringojcp:
if you guys have any pictures that has yet to be id, you can post them here or email them to me and I can id them for you. my credits you ask? Former marine science consultant and aquarium curator for NOAA, Tybee Island Marine Science Foundation and The City of Tybee
Just figure that I can share myself as a source
reptilians are also welcome

That's a great offer - and a generous one. I expect that you'll be inundated. Standby for pics from my next trip (sadly, the Great Lakes don't produce too much wildlife!)

ringojcp:
can't wait

I just pm'd you this...

No pix, but a heck of a description.

27 feet deep, S coast of Roatan Honduras, in a loose sand chute with coral rip rap- night time, August/Coral Spawn, Blood worms, the full magilla.

When I saw it I thought it was fiberglass packing tape on the bottom.

It was a worm (?). About 1" wide and maybe 1/4" thick. Whitish. It was strung thru the broken corals at hard angles (looking like packing tape). Light made it constrict, so I shuttered my light and called my buddy. We measured it and what we could see was maybe 22 feet exposed.

It constricted and withdrew into a hole pretty rapidly with further light... didn't see the head.

I have seen huge worms in the Maldives and the souther Pacific quite regularly, but have never seen one of these long white flat worms since.

Any ideas?

22 feet? Sounds like a tiger tail cucumber, with the water blown out.

Large medusa (spaghetti) worms can possess feeding tentacles several feet long, and the big ones are flattish. But normally you get multiple tentacles all converging on the worm's burrow, and 22 feet for one tentacle is rather... nuts.

he also said packing tape, i pmed you, draw me something? also, a tiger tail cue doesn't get that large in the wild

LeslieH:
Don't be greedy, Ringojcp - others want to play as well! :wink:

As for this flat packing-tape worm, it sounds far more like a nemertean than anything else.

I'm trying not to ask for a picture of a nermetean, but then again, I only saw it in it's entireity. Not in detail.

We measured it with lengths of my 27" free diving fins.

I twarn't no Tiger Tail I'd ever seen. I've seen Spaghetti Woerms- once again, maybe 1" wide x 1/4" thick and waaaaay long.

I was with another long time Caribbean diver- he was at a losss, as was I.

We spoke with Doc Radawski (noted old time critter expert on Roatan) and he said, "Dunno, It's a big ocean out there".

Go to this page http://www.pgmuseum.org/Gallery14.htm for a tangled mass of Antarctic nemerteans or this one for a white nemertean http://216.109.89.105/seashore/seashore_l/SC0123_1l.jpg

There are reliable reports of nemerteans up to 90 feet long and some books say they get up to 200 feet. The ones we usually see are much smaller. They're very common. the largest one I've seen was about 30 feet stretched out & 3 feet when contracted.

ringojcp,

I don't have any specimen to i.d., but I would like to comment on the BEST FRIGGIN FOOD I HAVE EVER EATEN at the Crab Shack on Tybee...OMG...

Hubby and I took a trip to Savannah and stopped at Tybee one afternoon...AWESOME...

Is there diving out of Tybee or Savannah?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom