Un-IDed specimens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LeslieH:
There are reliable reports of nemerteans up to 90 feet long and some books say they get up to 200 feet. The ones we usually see are much smaller. They're very common. the largest one I've seen was about 30 feet stretched out & 3 feet when contracted.
You're so lucky... most of the nemerteans I see are <1cm. I think there's a 1m Cerebratulus in a pickle jar somewhere...

What does a 200 foot nemertean eat?

LeslieH:
Anything it wants!:wink:

Dang, should've seen that coming.

ringojcp:
I can id them for you
Can't refuse that offer.
Here's my first mystery critter. If I remember correctly, the photographer said he took the pictures in about 200' up off Alaska. I didn't take the pix but I don't know who to credit.
Rick

that sir is a rhamphocottus richardsoni, that is exactly what it is....it's a type of scorpion fish

bennedc:
ringojcp,

I don't have any specimen to i.d., but I would like to comment on the BEST FRIGGIN FOOD I HAVE EVER EATEN at the Crab Shack on Tybee...OMG...

Hubby and I took a trip to Savannah and stopped at Tybee one afternoon...AWESOME...

Is there diving out of Tybee or Savannah?

Yes, the crab shack is a neat place to eat. You can dive off the coast here at gray's reef with several of the local dive shops. You can dive the shores too if you want to swim in the dark. But you will probrably find some civil war artifacts if you dive around the historic forts. Or, if you want to die, jump into the ogeechee river and hunt for megaladon and mastadon fossils..

Geez, those are scorpionfish?! I would've tagged that as a sculpin.

Screwy pacific fauna...

archman:
Screwy pacific fauna...
Indeed... shore am glad t'git that'n sorted out though, I am... Thanks Ringo.
Rick

Well, Ringo & Arch are both right. Ringo got the correct latin name but it's not a scorpion fish. It's in its own monotypic family Rhamphocottidae which was split off from the Cottidae (sculpins) and the common name is grunt sculpin.

LeslieH:
It's in its own monotypic family Rhamphocottidae which was split off from the Cottidae (sculpins) and the common name is grunt sculpin.

Rhamphocottidae, huh? The "curved beak" cottids, that's cute.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom