Un-IDed specimens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LeslieH:
Well, Ringo & Arch are both right. Ringo got the correct latin name but it's not a scorpion fish. It's in its own monotypic family Rhamphocottidae which was split off from the Cottidae (sculpins) and the common name is grunt sculpin.
I'm just happy to have a name for the little critter... Grunt sculpin... :)
Rick

LeslieH:
Go to this page this one for a white nemertean http://216.109.89.105/seashore/seashore_l/SC0123_1l.jpg

I like that one, but about 15x longer. Every time I go by that spot, I look and look again. How far could a big guy like that wander from his hole? I have yet to see him again.

Anybody want to help keep looking? At CoCoView, in that first wide sand chute NE of the Prince Albert Wreck, just West of the "first Red Can".

Thanks, Leslie.

that was our mistake, didn't mean scorpian fish, thanks leslie/archman

RoatanMan:
I like that one, but about 15x longer. Every time I go by that spot, I look and look again. How far could a big guy like that wander from his hole? I have yet to see him again.

Most nemerteans are wanderers. They don't have permanent burrows & keep moving in search of food. If they find a good food source they'll stay there for a while until it's time to find the next meal. I don't know of any study that mentions rate of movement, sorry.

I've seen infaunal nemerteans from videos. They're pretty dang fast... for a worm. Although with a benthic critter 20+ feet in length and having such a frail body, I don't think it's gonna be any speedy gonzalez. The sediments would have to be highly flocculent.

Personally, I'd be creeped out approaching a giant nemertean. If it's a stylet-armed type, it might get ticked off and "spear" you. Even the unarmed nemerteans are gross.

LeslieH:
Well, Ringo & Arch are both right. Ringo got the correct latin name but it's not a scorpion fish. It's in its own monotypic family Rhamphocottidae which was split off from the Cottidae (sculpins) and the common name is grunt sculpin.

"Grunt" Sculpin cuz it grunts when removed from water. All over the Pacific NW.
http://www.wantphoto.com/portfolio/marine/mlv02_h.html#image

archman:
I've seen infaunal nemerteans from videos. They're pretty dang fast... for a worm. Although with a benthic critter 20+ feet in length and having such a frail body, I don't think it's gonna be any speedy gonzalez. The sediments would have to be highly flocculent.

Personally, I'd be creeped out approaching a giant nemertean. If it's a stylet-armed type, it might get ticked off and "spear" you. Even the unarmed nemerteans are gross.

How do you think they feel?

Flocculent? Is that a TOS Viloation?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom