Unacceptable Instructor Behaviors...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the main points of the class is to enable them to make informed decisions

I believe that to be the most important part of SCUBA training. It's not that hard to train someone to use SCUBA gear, but without good judgement they are an accident waiting to happen. With any luck it's a small incident and a learning experience.

I was lucky that when I took up SCUBA the trainer and mentors I had emphasized responsibility and judgement needed to make a complete dive, that is return home after the dive. If that means not getting in the water, then dive another day. It could be that judgement is more important without a BC, SPG, and big tank, or it could be that instructors in a rush just train a skill and overlook developing a thinking and responsible diver.

Unless these instructors don't care they might be driving students away with their online behavior, they really need to consider how their online behavior might be taken.

May be they are just helping prospective divers make a good choice, and don't know it yet.

Bob

Of course, I agree with Pete's OP--been away and just can't read all the rest. My guess as to why the student's instructor did so many "people" things wrong (I won't get into the scuba particulars), was because perhaps there just isn't enough training to be a Teacher in scuba Instructor courses (since I've heard the IDC and IE can at times be done in a week or so, I would assume this to be true). Considering most classroom teachers spend 4 years in college for a degree. But, I never did the IDC, so am no expert.

was because perhaps there just isn't enough training to be a Teacher in scuba Instructor courses
Or not enough real life examples yet. The 'macho' sport with the 'macho' attitudes and all the "you're gonna die if you don't learn" mentality instead of quietly teaching them how to avoid the reaper.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but from some instructor behavior I've seen online, I feel it needs to be.

A number of instructors seem to mix instructor and personal stuff on the same FB profile. The behavior I've seen from a few instructors has left a very bad taste in my mouth. Even if they were the best instructor in the world, I wouldn't take a class from them! What I've seen: very nasty behavior towards those of directly opposite beliefs - from BOTH ends of the political spectrum, nasty comments towards certain religious groups. I've seen a diver post on diver's own FB page about a class they just took, and an instructor they're just FB friends with (never taken a class from) proceeded to make very negative comments about the class the diver just took. These are just some examples.

Unless these instructors don't care they might be driving students away with their online behavior, they really need to consider how their online behavior might be taken.

Everything that is posted on social media automatically becomes public knowledge.

Amazing how so many people tend to forget this.

I feel blessed in this regard. My instructors were professional, helpful and fun. If you didnt get something they explained in better detail and answered questions and moved on. We had a great bunch of peeps in our small class and we had good safety with no issues and had fun getting certified. Great bunch of folks in my local shop and they are all very helpful and very professional.

Of course, I agree with Pete's OP--been away and just can't read all the rest. My guess as to why the student's instructor did so many "people" things wrong (I won't get into the scuba particulars), was because perhaps there just isn't enough training to be a Teacher in scuba Instructor courses (since I've heard the IDC and IE can at times be done in a week or so, I would assume this to be true). Considering most classroom teachers spend 4 years in college for a degree. But, I never did the IDC, so am no expert.
Tom, it is not the IDC or the I.E that makes an instructor. It actually starts in a open water class And on to all continuing education classes and actual dive experiences leading to IDC/I.E . Thought of this way it can take years to become a instructor. The I.E only shows a bare minimum has been met. It is now up to that individual to build the skills and processes , maturity, and most important the attitudes for others and themselves to say they are an instructor.

I've noted something while reading this thread. Teachers go through a lengthy curriculum, while Instructors have On-the-Job (OJT) and some classroom learning experiences that, after skillset verification, allow them to INSTRUCT others in the art of SCUBA.

Just an observation and my $.02

Cheers -

Tom, it is not the IDC or the I.E that makes an instructor.
I disagree with this sentiment. You should come into an IE with a skill and knowledge set that is beyond reproach. But the whole point of the IE is to enable you to transfer that knowledge and those skills to another human safely. Safely. What's really missing are all the classes I wish I had been a part of before I took my IE. I had many, many more dives than most who take an IE, but diving for yourself is not the same as making decisions for an entire class and individuals within that class.

I disagree with this sentiment. You should come into an IE with a skill and knowledge set that is beyond reproach. But the whole point of the IE is to enable you to transfer that knowledge and those skills to another human safely. Safely. What's really missing are all the classes I wish I had been a part of before I took my IE. I had many, many more dives than most who take an IE, but diving for yourself is not the same as making decisions for an entire class and individuals within that class.
Is this not what I wrote stating it is the experiences before an IDC/ I.E that makes an instructor, so that safe proper decisions can be made ? The I.E does not enable or teach a person to transfer knowledge or skills safely, the IDC supposed to do that. The I.E only is a test by a examiner to affirm the abilities are there at the time of the I.E. .A properly run divemaster course starts that process with both in water and out of water supervision skills, learning to monitor and assist with decisions for the group and individuals. The IDC is designed to teach the ability of transferring knowledge and skills for required academic, confined water, open water environments in a safe manner following standards and procedures that a reasonably prudent instructor will follow, based on skills and experiences he or she had since he/she started diving.

Is this not what I wrote stating it is the experiences before an IDC/ I.E that makes an instructor,
No, it isn't. I'm not trying to be disagreeable here. Those experiences hopefully make you a great, competent and safe diver. It does nothing to help you think for others or even be able to impart knowledge and skill. I was a mechanic for several years. I was more than a competent mechanic, but one days the good folk at Goodyear decided I needed to become a service manager. Now, instead of working on a few cars a day, I had to work on them through others. I had to learn how to budget not only my time, but everyone else's. I had to be able to coach, encourage, deal with misdiagnoses, sourcing parts, selling service to customers... AND I had to be a more than competent mechanic. The guy I replaced was a fairly competent mechanic, but he was a horrible manager.

As an instructor, I have to manage all aspects of the dives (CW & OW) for all the divers, manage student participation, spot issues before they become problems, decide when to introduce a skill, diagnose issues with those newly learned skills (again, before they become problems), evaluate the well being of multiple bogeys, anticipate and intercept problematic behaviors, and ALSO be a great example/diver. The point of an IDC should be to transition you to all this, but unfortunately, I see a host of problems with this approach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom