Uncertified Scoundrels Teaching the Public to Dive in Libya

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
In Libya, con men and scammers in scuba and free diving training have taken over the scene and the public has fallen victim to them unfortunately. The number of these con man who claim to be instructors (free and scuba) without real instructor’s license/certification has become larger than the number of legitimate properly licensed/certified instructors in the country. The public cannot distinguish between the good and the bad or the real and fake and between the honest professional who has earned his instructor’s designation from a legitimate diver-training agency and follows the training standards of his agency. These scoundrels are committing their deceit and fraud with all comfort. The saying in Libya, “making a living” has given license to many individuals to commit fraud despite of their contradicting and violating Islamic teachings in addition to disregarding all ethics and honor of the profession.

In countries that respect the law, honor the ethics of the profession and protect the safety of their citizens, all those who fraudulently represent themselves as dive instructors (in all its forms) face severe legal consequences and may even be put in jail. Regrettably, in Libya fraudsters boast of their deceit and fraud and compete to break the rules and regulations of training in public without shame, care or concern to public safety. The worst types are the licensed instructors who sell scuba diving certifications to these Scammers when they have no role in training or qualifying the trainees at all. They have sold their honor and professional ethics, not to mention violating all their moral, contractual and legal obligations with their training agencies for a quick dinar.

Last edited:

That's not enough "Wow's" :) I am in town in Libya now where there are 5 "fake instructors" actively running free and scuba instructions and I am the ONLY properly trained, legitimate certified and dues paying instructor in this town. In the Capital city of Libya, Tripoli, there are about 5 certified instructors including myself and only 3 of us have current status with our respective agencies yet all are actively teaching. Several other not certified individuals are running dive schools (free and scuba) without being certified instructors. Even some of the certified instructors sell c-cards to the uncertified fake instructors to give to their students. One such character is running a summer camp for kids and trains them on Scuba and even runs advanced courses for them to dive to 30 meters yet he isn't an instructor. He buys c-cards from an instructor who is about 200 miles away in a different town without having anything to do with the students.

Hmm. I can sympathize with the unfair competitive situation.

It is difficult for me to believe that, given the totality of the situation today in Libya, that this is a serious problem in the greater scheme of things there.

Hmm. I can sympathize with the unfair competitive situation.

It is difficult for me to believe that, given the totality of the situation today in Libya, that this is a serious problem in the greater scheme of things there.

This isn't the most serious problem in Libya for sure, traffic deaths is much more serious here but this doesn't mean that people don't get hurt because of this issue. Many deaths and many DCI injuries in Libya in disproportionate numbers considering the diving population.

The families that had a loved one unnecessarily die or crippled for life in a dive accident that was very easy to prevent will think that it is serious I am sure.

Reminds me of 5 Air India captains getting fired after 20 plus years flying because they really never held any professional certification.......lol! It's a wild wild world over there :)

Reminds me of 5 Air India captains getting fired after 20 plus years flying because they really never held any professional certification.......lol! It's a wild wild world over there :)

LOL, this is just outrageous!!

If they taught well, but just couldn’t afford to be affiliated that would be one thing, but teaching scuba or freediving wrong seems criminal!

That's not enough "Wow's" :) I am in town in Libya now where there are 5 "fake instructors" actively running free and scuba instructions and I am the ONLY properly trained, legitimate certified and dues paying instructor in this town. In the Capital city of Libya, Tripoli, there are about 5 certified instructors including myself and only 3 of us have current status with our respective agencies yet all are actively teaching. Several other not certified individuals are running dive schools (free and scuba) without being certified instructors. Even some of the certified instructors sell c-cards to the uncertified fake instructors to give to their students. One such character is running a summer camp for kids and trains them on Scuba and even runs advanced courses for them to dive to 30 meters yet he isn't an instructor. He buys c-cards from an instructor who is about 200 miles away in a different town without having anything to do with the students.
This is totally outrageous and lawless! However, diving is largely an unregulated sport and I can’t say I’m surprised. It’s basically black market fraud. A lot of stuff happens around the world. Just look at all the opioids and other drugs illegally coming into our country wreaking social havoc, and the underground black market for weapons.
Until someone with authority sees this as a real problem with an unaceptable amount of people getting hurt will they take any action. Where would illegal and unethical fake scuba instructors hurting or killing people be on the priority list in Libya these days?

I would be more worried haftar and the tobruk faction are going to kick off against the gna soon now that they have pacified benghazi

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom