"Uncharted" Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for legal restrictions, I can’t answer that, but I do have a philosophical position: it’s easier to ask forgiveness than permission… Especially from gated communities! Why over complicate this. You’re just swimming with some extra gear on, LOL.
That would be my approach, then again any place I've lived up here I just assumed that if a lake wasn't on private property anyone could legally swim (or dive) there. Then again, growing up in NYC area/CT/NJ etc. I FULLY understand your concerns!
I've only dived in 2 lakes and 3 rivers, but my approach to those dives was the same as each time in the ocean when it's a new site-- Just go slowly and be careful. I can't add any lake advice to all the good stuff so far.

Personally I would check on land use rights before diving. Here, in Scotland, the presumption is on the side of public access to land (with a good "right to roam") whereas in England & Wales the presumption is exactly the opposite. As you will be on someone's land at some point, you should know if you have the right to be on it or whether you are trespassing.

Do the boats/skis require permission to use the lake?

Personally I would check on land use rights before diving. Here, in Scotland, the presumption is on the side of public access to land (with a good "right to roam") whereas in England & Wales the presumption is exactly the opposite. As you will be on someone's land at some point, you should know if you have the right to be on it or whether you are trespassing.

Yes. The entire lake is contained within a gated community that is protected by security measures normally reserved for international airports lol! I myself am NOT a property owner here; we only visit as guests of our friends. As such, we are not even permitted to enter the gate until my friend visits the gate (in-person), authorizes my entry, indicates my departure date, and my vehicle info is recorded. This is required with EVERY entry, so even if I were to "run out" to the store, I could not re-enter without the owner present.

There is only one single launch ramp on the lake, as the vast majority of boaters have private piers/boathouses directly on their property.

That detail is only to illustrate two points:
1. This place is extremely diligent with access control (in my opinion, more for "ego/status preservation" than safety, but that's another topic :wink:).
2. Once on the lake, it seems to be "assumed" that everyone is either an owner or authorized guest, so the "lake cop" patrols seem to be accordingly liberal. They don't typically bother anyone in non-motorized watercraft or enforce fishing licensure (which is typically a big deal in PA)... Their primary concern is typically enforcing their requirement that all motorboat operators are USCG certified and preventing any "daredevil" PWC activity as you'd typically see on rivers & bays.

Yeah, like my cousins' up in the Orkneys. England/Wales= New Yawk. Stay away from there!
Highlands--do what you want...

If you have access to a boat on the lake with a depth finder, it might be worth it to just cruise the area in question. There are lakes I grew up on in the Midwest that I was surprised to find were very shallow. They are also very muddy being old flooded farm land. Often just looking in the water and gauging how far you can see will give an idea if it is even worth getting in. I have done old strip mining lakes that a friend of the family owns. One is clear water "swimming hole". The other is the "green lake", that one got a down and up and I am out of here being 100% blackwater diving. mud bottom and dive by braill, gauge on the mask to read anything.

Just because it is a lake, it may not be worth trying to dive.

Another gated community lake I can think of, my brother was good friends of a resident there. Boats would sink, and the steering wheel would still be out of the water. I know the depth to it, just look at the dam and how far to the river bed below. But knowing people who were in the area when the lake was formed, it is just a mud bottom. No rock, no structure. If you find just the right spot there might be a golf cart lost off the gold course or a boat. But you will never just find them without help or a lot of dumb luck.

In really limited visibility, you might consider dropping a "shot" line with a buoy. Or anchor your diver flag with a weight. This will give you a focal point to stay near, and help you stay oriented as to place and direction.
When I had to dive in a marina for lost eyeglasses, that shot line was vital in me knowing where I was, and therefore which way the dock ladder would be. This was in visibility so bad I couldn't read my gauges (which is unsafe, so don't do it).

A landmark on the bottom might serve that same purpose.

Greetings, everyone - new member & first post here, looks like a great community!

My daughter and I are new divers [...]

Welcome, Kirk, and congratulations.

I live in Minnesota, and frequently dive in areas here and elsewhere that do not ordinarily attract much interest from divers. I'll see if I can help.

1. Legal Restrictions: I surely appreciate respecting any restrictions on privately-owned waters, however, for public lakes, rivers, bays, etc., what is the "rulebook" for understanding if they can be dived legally / safely? It's surprising to me that I haven't found any clear governance - if it weren't for the frequent comments on boards like this suggesting "go practice in your local lake", I would just assume public waters were off-limits.

The situation varies from state to state and is complex because much of the law is not codified or specified in statute. Water access is based on English common law and has been interpreted differently by courts in different jurisdictions. Most of the case law is based on 19th and early 20th century decisions that predate the emergence of recreational scuba diving in the 1950s. In Minnesota, the landmark cases are Lamprey v. Metcalf (1893) and Johnson v. Seifert (1960s), but those don't apply in Pennsylvania and the situation does differ considerably among states.

Ordinarily there is no problem SCUBA diving in an area where you can lawfully swim and boat, except for a few jurisdictions that specifically prohibit SCUBA diving or require a permit or license for SCUBA diving. Most commonly, in my experience, these restrictions are imposed by park boards, either because of perceived safety problems, as part of a general prohibition against swimming, as a result of complaints from people trying to fish, or because of complaints from lifeguards. Lifeguards usually don't like SCUBA divers.

Most jurisdictions require you to tow a dive flag for reasons of safety; the same laws require boats to stay away from dive flags. In areas where diving is common the flags are recognized, enforcement is common, and it makes sense to use a flag. In lakes that hardly ever get divers, and in lakes without motorized boat traffic, I don't use a flag. Most boaters in these areas don't know what the flag is and are more likely to come over and investigate than they are to stay away. In many cases law enforcement doesn't know what the flag is, either.

2. Safety Considerations: To date, all but one of our dives have included a DM or were part of an organized group. Ideally, I would like to invite some other, more experienced divers to join us, but if that doesn't work out, what specific concerns would I need to consider? A surface buoy, compass & first aid kit are obvious items, but I'd surely hate to omit anything critical.

Your training is supposed to have prepared you to dive without an instructor or DM. Follow your training, use good gear, plan your dive, do buddy checks, and so on. I'm not going to go into that in detail, but you have to take the same steps you would take at a widely-used shore diving site, or on a boat where there is no DM provided.

If you're in a new lake, the first thing is that you have to know the lake. Navionics ChartViewer has depth information for many lakes but not for Lake Wynonah. If there are other resources available locally, use those. Find out what to expect for visibility and temperature. Amenities of Lake Wynonah PA has some information, 90' deep it says. Look at the satellite view on Google Maps. It can give you an idea on depths and visibility -- it looks to me like the lake is clear enough for good diving.

You will want to be prepared for the temperatures you are likely to encounter. I'm guessing you're thinking summer -- not now -- there may be ice at this point and if not it's going to be really cold. Usually the best visibility in freshwater lakes is in the spring or early summer. It's going to be cold, usually around 70 near the surface, and in deeper lakes like these there will be a thermocline and if you're going past about 20' it's going to get very cold very quickly and you would want a 7mm wetsuit. Later in the year the surface will warm up more but the viz usually deteriorates, and it's still cold at depth.

The main hazard is boats. You want to understand the local usage patterns and stay out of heavily used areas. Water skiing boats will not watch for you even if you have a flag. In that lake, I would use a flag. You will be able to hear boats, and if your buoyancy control and dive planning are good enough, you can avoid surfacing when there is one in your area. You will want to pay attention when surfacing and be prepared for a quick descent if you're about to get hit. Even if you are diving from shore, you can have a friend follow you with a kayak or canoe or something which helps a great deal, then you can surface next to that.

Since there is fishing you may encounter abandoned monofilament line underwater. Freshwater line doesn't usually pose a serious entanglement risk, because it's light enough that you can break it, but bring a line cutter or knife to be sure.

Lakes with dams sometimes have water outlets, stay away from those as they are dangerous and you can get stuck to them. Though rare there have been accidents, usually when the viz is bad and people can't see them.

On larger lakes, navigation becomes a factor as you don't want to get lost and surface too far from shore. Wynonah is small enough that you should be able to swim to shore from any point in it without much trouble. Bring a compass, but you'll end up using depth as your guide, shallower=closer to shore.

3. Disclaimer: Perhaps this should have been listed first LOL - I do want to stress that I have no intention of jumping into every lake or river I can find, and my common sense would surely not allow me to dive without the proper information to be safe. This is really just an inquiry about one particular lake with which I am familiar. Lake Wynonah is a crystal-clear, 175-acre beauty with depths to 90' and tons of freshwater fish; IF I can verify that I can dive it legally and safely, it would be an incredible opportunity to get dive/practice time during our visits there.

I appreciate any advice or guidance anyone has to offer!

People will ask you what you're doing and what you saw. They will also ask about experience and safety, because the public perception is that scuba diving is dangerous. It is wise to have some answers ready that emphasize your training and such experience as you may have. Once you have some more dives behind you, I would suggest taking a camera and shooting some video and posting it. It will go a long way towards being sure that the locals like you so you can keep diving there.

Lakes that are rarely dived usually accumulate various "treasures" and you are likely to find some fishing rods, lures, anchors, cell phones, snorkeling gear, etc. I usually give away anything I find that is usable, or leave it on the dock if I have a good idea who it would belong to. It's funny how people remember stuff. People get attached to particular fishing lures and you can make some good friends pretty quickly. You may be asked to find objects, can be fun, use your judgement, be careful with anything heavy enough to screw up your buoyancy.

It looks like a fun lake, probably better than anything I have around here.

The water will be mighty chilly below the first few feet, even in high summer . Silt will collect in a very thick layer unless there is some current to move the lake water. It doesn't sound like a particularly difficult dive. Fishing lines are always a hazard, but my guess is, with no big game fish in the lake, most of the lines will be easy to cut mono filament. If the lake is man made (a dam at one end) there may be something interesting, like old tree stumps, roads, vehicles or building foundations. Rentacops run by the rules as they see them. They will however they want, so have your friend research usage. I would guess if they allow boats, diving will be allowed as long as access rules are followed.

My experience with small lake diving is cold, silty, low visibility and a good three foot layer of soft mud on the bottom.

Gated community means there could be HOA rules and also possibly a recorded declaration of covenants detailing what can and cannot be done on/in the lake. Read those first before jumping in the lake.

Other than that, get wet and have fun!

Back
Top Bottom