Undecided on which Knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dragon_Rckr_PR

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So... I'm checking out which knife to add to my gear and down to two option, well three since one model comes in blunt and drop point.

A bit of my background, new to scuba and I live in Puerto Rico. Most if not all my dives will be from shore. We do have a dense population of lion fish and there is a request from the local department of wildlife to help bring them down.

Haven't encountered fish lines, dense algae or entanglements to cut through, but you never know and it's better to be safe than sorry later on.

The options I have down so far Tusa Imprex FK220 or FK210, one is blunt tip and the other is drop point. The other knife is XS Scuba KN200, integrated sheers and black finish.

Xs Scuba Kn200 - Fogcutter Recon Knife

Tusa Imprex Knife Blunt #FK220

Tusa Imprex Knife Point #FK210

Other suggestions are welcome!

I believe everyone needs two different knives. As I am a fan of only buying once, and never having to buy again. I suggest a knife with a no bs lifetime warranty. I suggest a knife that will stay super sharp a long time, will be easy to sharpen and is impervious to salt water corrosion. With that said, there's really only one knife that meets that criteria. It is the H1 Atlantic Salt by Spyderco... :: Spyderco Search Results :: It comes in a few different styles and in two different colors, yellow or black. I've left mine in a tackle box full of salt water for 2 weeks and it WILL NOT rust. It's sharp enough to shave with and very easy to resharpen. It's the best of the best.

Secondly, I would suggest would be one of these.... Trilobyte Z-Knife - Cave Country Diving Store . Sometimes when you're caught in line, and in zero vis, it would be nice to be able to cut yourself out without cutting a finger off. This knife is sharp enough to cut through 2" of wet webbing like it was nothing. It comes with replacement blades. It is very low profile and can be attached virtually anywhere.

So... I'm checking out which knife to add to my gear and down to two option, well three since one model comes in blunt and drop point.

A bit of my background, new to scuba and I live in Puerto Rico. Most if not all my dives will be from shore. We do have a dense population of lion fish and there is a request from the local department of wildlife to help bring them down.

Haven't encountered fish lines, dense algae or entanglements to cut through, but you never know and it's better to be safe than sorry later on.

The options I have down so far Tusa Imprex FK220 or FK210, one is blunt tip and the other is drop point. The other knife is XS Scuba KN200, integrated sheers and black finish.

Xs Scuba Kn200 - Fogcutter Recon Knife

Tusa Imprex Knife Blunt #FK220

Tusa Imprex Knife Point #FK210

Other suggestions are welcome!

I went from a knife to a pair of shears and a ez cut. Couldn't be happier ether.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

My primary is trauma shears. My alternates are either a Benchmade 8 cutting tool, or the Spyderco Atlantic Salt mentioned by Superlyte 27.

Salt, Ez-Cut, and shears. The "Three Amigos" in my kit......

Cutting tools are highly disposable to me as I'm constantly either breaking them scallopping or prying and/or dropping them in near bottomless environments like our oil rigs. The trilobite I keep on my wrist is a constant, anything that is sharp and cuts in my pocket is a backup to that. Add cutters or shears if in a place where entanglement in string and/or wire is possible or makes sense.

A knife makes sense where you need a knife. A knife is not always the cutting tool which makes the most sense.

All my favorite knives were found on the bottom. I did manage to find the owners of a few but the rest serve me well.

I would go with your first option as it has a longer serrated edge plus you also have the option of using the sheers if you like that sort of thing.

Cutting tools are highly disposable to me as I'm constantly either breaking them scallopping or prying and/or dropping them in near bottomless environments like our oil rigs. The trilobite I keep on my wrist is a constant, anything that is sharp and cuts in my pocket is a backup to that. Add cutters or shears if in a place where entanglement in string and/or wire is possible or makes sense.

A knife makes sense where you need a knife. A knife is not always the cutting tool which makes the most sense.

I can't help you if you lose the knife, but if you smash a Spyderco with a hammer repeatedly, they'll replace it.

Back
Top Bottom