Undecided on which Knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I carry a Trilobite, shears, and small safety knife usually.

I am looking at another type of knife that is not yet out on the market. What makes it different is that it is completely impervious to salt water. It will not corrode or rust. Easier to sharpen than stainless and lighter than titanium.

I am looking at it because the mfg has asked me to consult on the design. I met with him today and we went over the first prototype. I literally tore it apart, shot down several features, and added others.

Also I suggested a version for lion fish and spear fisherman. It will not be cheap. Shooting for the $150-200 range. But considering that other makers are producing blades with this same material that start at $600 and run up to $1500-2000 I think there will be some market for it. It is not brittle and holds an edge very well.

Should be seeing something in the next few weeks closer to what I think it should look like.

I believe everyone needs two different knives. As I am a fan of only buying once, and never having to buy again. I suggest a knife with a no bs lifetime warranty. I suggest a knife that will stay super sharp a long time, will be easy to sharpen and is impervious to salt water corrosion. With that said, there's really only one knife that meets that criteria. It is the H1 Atlantic Salt by Spyderco... :: Spyderco Search Results :: It comes in a few different styles and in two different colors, yellow or black. I've left mine in a tackle box full of salt water for 2 weeks and it WILL NOT rust. It's sharp enough to shave with and very easy to resharpen. It's the best of the best.

Secondly, I would suggest would be one of these.... Trilobyte Z-Knife - Cave Country Diving Store . Sometimes when you're caught in line, and in zero vis, it would be nice to be able to cut yourself out without cutting a finger off. This knife is sharp enough to cut through 2" of wet webbing like it was nothing. It comes with replacement blades. It is very low profile and can be attached virtually anywhere.

+1 for the Atlantic Salt AND the Trilobyte Z-Knife

I dive a Spyderco Salt H1 (because having had 2 stainless steel dive knives (and 1 supposedly titanium coated cheap one) rust, I got tired of throwing away money, & decided on either a Spyderco model that used the H1 steel (not all do) or titanium).

I also dive a Trilobyte; got it with a pack of extra blades. Very trim on the BCD strap, small and hardly there until needed. Easy to get out when needed, stays put when not.

Richard.

So... I'm checking out which knife to add to my gear and down to two option, well three since one model comes in blunt and drop point.

A bit of my background, new to scuba and I live in Puerto Rico. Most if not all my dives will be from shore. We do have a dense population of lion fish and there is a request from the local department of wildlife to help bring them down.

Haven't encountered fish lines, dense algae or entanglements to cut through, but you never know and it's better to be safe than sorry later on.

The options I have down so far Tusa Imprex FK220 or FK210, one is blunt tip and the other is drop point. The other knife is XS Scuba KN200, integrated sheers and black finish.

Xs Scuba Kn200 - Fogcutter Recon Knife

Tusa Imprex Knife Blunt #FK220

Tusa Imprex Knife Point #FK210

Other suggestions are welcome!

Personally I find keeping a folder stowed in a pocket preferable to having a big straight blade mounted externally on my BCD or somewherez. I like keeping the bulk and snag hazards to a minimum. Wouldn't it be ironic if that big macho dive knife turned out to be the item that got you caught on some mono. As for the Lion Fish, I would like to think that you are not intending to go after those guys with a knife? Probably want to use a fish gig/spear or some other device dedicated to that activity.

I went with the XS Scuba Recon Knife with integrated shears. It was more for the look, black stuff is my weakness :/

It might have been an impulse buy... Don't think I'll use it much, although I might be diving on a weekly basis. I'll be going for a good Titanium knife, most possibly Spyderco Salt H1 that many have suggested. It all depends on how much this one will last and how rust resistant it really is against the manufacturer claims.

As for the lion fish, yeah I think it was kinda naive on my part to think of going after them with a knife with the danger of toxins and all that. Might go for a spear gun later on when I'm more experienced and adept in the sport. They hold a lion fish hunt every now and then to try to bring them down. Saw four in a row, 1 large and 3 smaller ones, on Saturday while diving along the reef at Rompe Olas Beach in Aguadilla, PR.

Thanks for the tips and help!

I know I'm way late to this party. But I picked up a couple UK Blue Tang Titaniums and love the feel of them, they have a straight blade, serrations, and a line-cutting hook. I found em on eBay for @ $50 shipped. Couldn't really argue with that price for a titanium knife. One mfr sent me a Hydralloy version in a mix-up and handling them side by side the titanium one feels like it's about half the weight. I haven't had the chance to dive with it yet, but my initial impression is great. It's light, easy to disassemble if I somehow get some junk in it (don't see how, but still good to know), the handle feels great, it has a nice rubberized grip, has one larger finger-groove towards the top with a good size guard to prevent my hand from slipping onto the blade, otherwise there are no finger-grooves, which I prefer (something I've learned with guns and gloves), the sheath has a secure feeling lock, the straps are pretty robust and lock into place well with a quick-detach buckle that keeps the adjustments and is easy to attach/remove, they also have a decent amount of flex to them for a snug fit without being too tight. For that price, I'm very happy to get a titanium knife with all of those features

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom