Under Performing SAFT Batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LS14500SAFT.jpg

Bought this one for €3,60, used it for nearly 170 hours before I got a battery low warning. So...cheap doesn't always mean you get a copy?

Thanks, think she might go with Energizer rechargeable AA for now. Can always get some Li later and use the AA for something else. This is a Perdix.

Amazon is simply the wrong place to buy batteries. Counterfeits are rampant. In fact, a couple of years ago I was looking for some 18650 SureFire's, and literally EVERY ONE advertised on both Amazon and ebay was counterfeit, the numbers or colors did not match those of the genuine product. ALL OF THEM.

I've had similar experiences with brand name (Duracell, Rayovac, Eveready) batteries on Amazon. Most, perhaps all, of the discount sellers are selling OLD STOCK. Sometimes 3-5 years old according to the manufacturing and expiry dates. And if those weren't stored in a cool place...they could be more than half dead before they even ship.

So if I need to order online (as I did with some SAFT primary cells) I pick the seller very carefully and check the product on arrival. If you call the maker and they confirm the product is counterfeit (wrong text, color, language, etc.) contact Amazon, they will issue a refund and take steps against the seller. ebay is a bit more problematic.

The folks who crank out counterfeit windshield wipers, spark plugs, and oil filters have found a new side line.

Thanks, think she might go with Energizer rechargeable AA for now. Can always get some Li later and use the AA for something else. This is a Perdix.

I wouldn't bother with lipo's for the Perdix unless you are consolidating for use with a Predator or are trying to minimize chargers or charge cycles when travelling. The have essentially the same wH as the eneloops so you aren't gaining any run time out of them.

@Rred true, I usually get primeable items only. That said for the NiMH, the Amazonbasics are sanyo cells, so I have no issue grabbing those and that is what I have in my headlamps and backup lights

Absolutely, the Prime warranty has been used (sadly) many times and been worth having. I expect Amazon contracts out their "Basics" and the supplier changes from time to time. I found their Basics NiMh AAA and AA were junk, bought maybe 3-4 years ago, long since tossed out more than half.

Something that may also be relevant: SAFT and every other lithium *primary* cell is not just another brand name. Lithium primary cells have an inherently long shelf life, unlike the alkalines from every brand name that consistently leak. But lithium primary cells also have a problem, they CANNOT supply high current for heavy loads. So if you have something as simple as an ultra-bright LED light? It will be dim on lithium primary cells. They're just not made for heavy power loads.

For things like the flashlight that lives in the trunk, or the storm cellar, that just MUST work when needed? I want SAFT. For the everyday light that has to be bright? I go alkaline. And I grease the terminals, so that when they leak, I can just wipe off the crud. Now that Eveready (hq in India now!) has bought out Rayovac...I may have to start rolling my own.(G)

@Rred lipo has the specific advantage of being high discharge.... are you sure you aren't thinking nimh for that?

the bigger problem with safts in flashlights is a lot of them can't handle the much higher voltage when they want a 1.5v alkaline

No, I'm not confused. I said lithium PRIMARY not LiPo. Lithium ion rechargeable chemistry is totally different from the "lithium" primary cells that have been used in emergency equipment for ages. Confuses the hazmat people as well, but they are totally different animals. SAFT are one of the few sources of lithium primary cells.

Back
Top Bottom