under water boat hull cleaning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I say good thinking ,both on your idea and asking for advice on this forum. Everyone likes the idea of making money while diving and all this advice is true but there are other and better ways ,like pool repair , recovery,private dock repair etc, etc.
So don't give up and welcome to Scubaboard

ive done it in florida and it sucks but ill tell you what im in dunmor ky its about 70 mile for me to drive there you make me a really good offer ill come do it for ya i think its funny these people that dont know anything about it and talk crap most people do it with a hooka because thay dont want to tear up there bc on barnicals what is it your wanting cleaned off the boat

mike_s:
Hope that all helps. I'm sure there is some money to be made in it (out of water hull cleaning) if you get everything set up.
-Mike
It's still not any fun even out of the water. For a 50ft boat with a half a dozen people working, it's still a two day job. But considering how much of a pita it is, boatesr will pay a lot of mony to not have to do it. Way more than $50.

I think lots of folks here are chiming in from marine environments (barnacle encrustation). The boat hulls here in the Tennessee river and other freshwater environments get covered in algae, much easier to clean off without abrasives or high pressure (especially if you don't pull it out of the water and let it dry). I wouldn't give up on the business idea, but I sure as heck wouldn't do it in a marina for the reasons mentioned. Have them move the boat (with you in it) to open water. Once you clean a small spot off, you could use suction cups to hold on. I would make sure you hold the key to the boat as they dive, you don't want someone starting the drive as you're around the prop.

Good luck and give us a report!

Like the others said, doing it at an achorage out of the marina isn't that bad. You still have the pollution of the river/lake and having to clean your dive gear afterwards, but that's life.

Here's an idea to use as a "hold" underwater. Run a heavy (1" plus) line under the hull from the bow-pull to the stern. Secure it tighly. This gives you a line that runs the length of the boat to hold onto while you are working. It also gives you a "reference point" of where to clean as the vis will be non existant. clean both sides of the line say for 2-3 feet and move down the line. come back up the other side. When that "sweep" is complete, move the line on the stern a few feet towards the other side of the stern. Repeat until complete. You can then run the line down the "water line" to clean the sides of the hull at the waterline.

still sound slike a 'heck of a lot of work'. I hope you get paid well for it.

well being born and raised in tenessee,i am not scared of work.mike that is an excellent idea about the lines.i did some looking and dumping any waste in this state is highly,highly illegal any where in the water,and beleive me ya dont mess with TWRA ( TENESSEE WILDLIFE RESOURCE AGENCY).they take there job very seriously.i was going to college for wildlife biology hoping to get hired on with them and a new baby girl brought that to a hault for now.

i am pretty familiar with the waters here just not diving(yet)hoping you guys will help me with that.sorry i did'nt tell ya that earlier,i only tell people what they need to know about me when they need to know it.i get better info that way.not trying to be a butt about it,thats just the way i work.

so keep the info coming guys,its really helping me alot and thanks.:D :D :D

and yes mike it was moved for some unkown reasons.

catfish20:
and yes mike it was moved for some unkown reasons.

yeah... we've got some "thread moving MOD's" here.

They must think that the only Hull cleaning that goes on is in the "Deep Dixie Diver" area. (regardless of all the other posts from across the nation). I guess there are no other Hull cleaners here huh?

As for dumping waste, it's illegal yes. Does it still happen? yes. Especially when boat owners don't want to have to move their boat to the fuel dock to dump their heads. especially those that dump directly overboard. many older boats still do this even though they aren't supposed to legally. The problem with marinas is that boats are "concentrated" there and that people (boat owners) don't want to have to move them to dump their tanks. Also, they tend to be more "stagnent" in water movement due to their protective nature, so the bacteria and sewage doesn't get circulated out of the area.

While the rope thing might work well underwater, this might help on the waterline

01058_f.jpg

Hol-Tite Grip Suction Handle
Holds you and your dinghy in one spot while you clean the waterline. Also keeps your skiff from drifting while you’re in the water cleaning the bottom. Its 4”dia. suction cups work well underwater.

Of course I think everyone still thinks that doing this in a Marina is just not a good idea.

catfish20:
i am pretty familiar with the waters here just not diving(yet)hoping you guys will help me with that.sorry i did'nt tell ya that earlier,i only tell people what they need to know about me when they need to know it.i get better info that way.not trying to be a butt about it,thats just the way i work.
HInt - around here you get much better answers if you ask the real question, and give as much info as you can.

You've got scuba equipment. Pull the boat away from the dock if you are worried about what is in the water right there. I know all these guys are saying don't do it, but I'm saying I have a friend who does it. Just be safe! It is hard work but a good service. Charge a lot but be safe. P.S. Proud to be an educated Redneck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom