Undercurrent Magazine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlndavid:
I did receive the subscription invitation for $39 for 9 issues + the chap book.
Is it more like a newsletter with no pictures or a magazine with pictures?
And yah, bluesky magazines on ebay is great. Thanks for all the responses, still haven't decide weather to subscribe or not yet.
David

If at anytime during the first year you email me or drop a note saying you want your money back, you'll get it all back. Been doing that for 30 years.

Ben Davison, publisher
Undercurrent

Ben Davison:
If at anytime during the first year you email me or drop a note saying you want your money back, you'll get it all back. Been doing that for 30 years.

Ben Davison, publisher
Undercurrent

I used to get undercurrent. The problem was they were always way behind with what they were reporting. I sent in a report of an Australian trip once and it took about a year to see it online. I think that we would like the more current status of a dive area, escially when a tusami hits or like in the Caymans when you have a hurricane. I was looking for reports on places that I wanted to travel to and the reports were sometimes over a year or two old. The reports that they had were good just not current enough for me, this web site beats them as far as current reports.
All the best,
Caymaniac

www.advanceddivermagazine.com

Even if you aren't certified for all the different aspects of diving covered in this magazine, they are thorough and up to date on the safety aspects of diving - mainly because the technical aspects are strongly emphasized. It's a bit pricy at $7.50 per issue, but one of the best magazines I've found if your more concerned about scuba diving and not just the usual destinations that appear in the other magazines.

There's only three magazines I subscribe to:
Undercurrent online, Advanced Diver Magazine, and Wreck Diving Magazine.
I wouldn't travel without reading Undercurrent.

The "reviews" in Scuba Diving Magazine are little more than paid advertisements themselves IMO.

I have to throw in my two cents for Undercurrent. I read it cover to cover (front to back) when it gets here.
I agree with the trip reports they come back with (the good, the bad, and the ugly).

I too am both an online and print version subscriber. I thought I would give it a subscription year and decide after that. I don't think I will be renewing as I find the issues a little thin in overall content and the web information while not bad isn't really much better that what can be gleaned for free on here or other sites. I find the print medium slowly losing ground to the online equivalent in N. America, particularly in Canada and the U.S. Even though I don't plan on renewing I think it is still worthwhile checking out given Ben's refund options and the fact that he was and still is a pioneer in getting a different viewpoint out to the dive consumer. my 2cents.

So would you recommend the online version over the print version? If so, why? Thanks for the advice.

kevink:
I have to throw in my two cents for Undercurrent. I read it cover to cover (front to back) when it gets here.
I agree with the trip reports they come back with (the good, the bad, and the ugly).

......it is worth every penny and THEN some. I highly respect their opinion. They have saved me thousands of dollars through the years in avoiding poor resorts and products. I have found no other media to date including SB that has done the same.

My .02 cents.

Dave

BTW, do a search on Undercurrents and you'll find this topic has been discussed several times recently.

I just did the online version and have found it to be very helpful along with SB in planning dive trips on my own. They also address current issues like equipment recalls etc that I haven't see posted here. YMMV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom