Undergarments.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver below 83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I just purchased my first wetsuits. Deep 6 3mm. Love it but as this is my first one I’m not sure what’s the ideal undergarments. Currently all my diving is tropical/ warm water diving. We do have “winter” here in south Florida but the water is far from cold. I’ve tried the suit on with a few items under just to test comfort. Board shorts alone, added a rash guard up top, bare bottom etc. every time I notice right away I’m sweating all holy hell. I’m sure water will help with that course.

so what is your ideal undergarments in a 3mm? Would a full body skin be beneficial or is it just going to make me even hotter?

Speedo, most comfortable and doesn't bunch up causing pain or cutting off circulation.

Don’t like normal swim shorts in wetsuits because they bunch up uncomfortably. Search amazon for “swim jammers” - that’s typically what I’ll wear.

I go full commando....or a pair of under armor compression shorts.

If I’m trying to add warmth I will wear a 3mm/5mm hooded vest under my full suit.

before I started diving in a dry suit I would go hooded vest, 3mm full suit and a 3mm shortly on top of that. Is 9mm on the chest over kill? “No” says my warm core.

I go full commando....or a pair of under armor compression shorts.

If I’m trying to add warmth I will wear a 3mm/5mm hooded vest under my full suit.

before I started diving in a dry suit I would go hooded vest, 3mm full suit and a 3mm shortly on top of that. Is 9mm on the chest over kill? “No” says my warm core.

Up here you cant do commando. Most dives are shore dives on a public beach. I do drysuit unless in the pool, but still stripping off a wetsuit at a public pool commando is kindy frowned upon (in fact it gets you on the sex offenders register list).

@Diver below 83 you will be hot in your wetsuit on the surface, remeber it is insulating you from being completely submerged, think of it as going from 80 degree weather to 50 degree weather, you put your jacket on at 80 degree and you are hot, go to 50 and your comfortable.

If shore diving set up your gear then put on wetsuit, with zipper open jump in the water, come up and then zip yup and dawn gear. If boat diving setup gear, dawn wetsuit, dump water on you, gear up and jump in.

As I’ll be doing a lot of shore diving going commando isn’t an option for me either.

Up here you cant do commando. Most dives are shore dives on a public beach. I do drysuit unless in the pool, but still stripping off a wetsuit at a public pool commando is kindy frowned upon (in fact it gets you on the sex offenders register list).

@Diver below 83 you will be hot in your wetsuit on the surface, remeber it is insulating you from being completely submerged, think of it as going from 80 degree weather to 50 degree weather, you put your jacket on at 80 degree and you are hot, go to 50 and your comfortable.

If shore diving set up your gear then put on wetsuit, with zipper open jump in the water, come up and then zip yup and dawn gear. If boat diving setup gear, dawn wetsuit, dump water on you, gear up and jump in.

I get that. There is only couple of places around here where there is privacy enough to rock commando. Other wise Under amor is the next best thing

Boxer briefs usually, rash guard if sunny out/no privacy/donning and doffing multiple times in a short period.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom