Understanding Gas Management

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For that reason and also, if my thinking is correct, the faster you breath the more N2 you're putting into your system

Nope. Rapid breathing or slow breathing, your nitrogen loading will be the same. They'll differ in CO2 production, however.

Thanks for the link. That paragraph has been fixed.

Nope. Rapid breathing or slow breathing, your nitrogen loading will be the same.
Ok - I guess that is because you're taking on the nitrogen whether you're inhaling or exhaling and because we don't really "do anything" with the nitrogen.

Slow breathing means you'll have better gas exhange - more O2 into and more CO2 out of your blood with slower breathing.

They'll differ in CO2 production, however
my understanding of this is that it's because you are failing to empty your lungs and get a good gas exchange as noted above, thus you'll have the opposite of what I said above when you are breathing fast and shallow

So...faster breathing means you're making more bubbles and the bubbles have the same N2(since your body doesn't actually use it), more O2 and less CO2 in them, meaning your body has the same N2, less O2 and more CO2 - correct?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom