Understanding the SDI Advanced Open Water Offerings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hijax

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi guys,

I'm considering taking an advanced open water course since I'd like to do some deeper wreck dives. For example, the Spiegel wreck in the Florida Keys requires an AOW certification in order to dive it due to it's depth.

I spoke with a LDS that is SDI affiliated and got the details I wanted. I then went to the SDI site to look at the program and see two "advanced" programs:

Advanced Adventure Diver
Advanced Diver Development Program

From the info the LDS gave me, it sounds like I'd be doing the first one.

Which if these two correlates to PADI & SSI's AOW courses?

Rey...

You want the Advance Diver Develpment Program, you get 4 specialities and your advance card. You will actually receive 5 cards with this program. One speciality can be one that does not require dives, like computer nitrox, and usually the lds requires you to take a couple specify courses, i require my students to take deep and wreck, the other two are whatever ones they want, i encourage them to take nitrox for one of them. Hope this helps.

David

The SDI Advanced Adventure Diver Specialty is comprised of 5 dives from 5 different specialties (1 dive from each specialty). Two core specialties core specialties, Deep and Navigation, are required. A diver can complete this program as soon as they become certified as an open water diver. This program is similar to the PADI Advanced Diver program.
The SDI Advanced Development program requires the individual to provide proof of 25 logged dives and the completion of 4 different specialties. These specialties are comprised of 2 dives each for a total of 8 dives, and can be done as individual course or as s combine course. This program is similar to the SSI Advanced Diver requirements.

You want the Advance Diver Develpment Program, you get 4 specialities and your advance card. You will actually receive 5 cards with this program. One speciality can be one that does not require dives, like computer nitrox, and usually the lds requires you to take a couple specify courses, i require my students to take deep and wreck, the other two are whatever ones they want, i encourage them to take nitrox for one of them. Hope this helps.
David

Thanks David. I called SDI and chatted with Steve (really awesome guy). My main goal is being able to dive deeper and he confirmed that the Advanced Adventurer is equivalent to PADI's Advanced Open Water certification. That would allow me to dive a wreck like the Spiegel Grove which requires an advanced certification. I can then apply the dives I've done to specific specialties to round out an SDI Advanced Open Water cert which is much more involved.

Rey...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom