Underwater Camera Housing Leak Detector

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another option is the Vivid Leak Sentinel. Well reviewed by many and they just came out with their V4 that includes temperature compensation and an overnight mode. I haven't received it yet but the owner is very responsive to questions and I look forward to getting it.

Like the Backscatter version it works on many different brands of housings but it's about half the price at $230 shipped.

Leak Sentinel, pre dive vacuum leak detector for underwater housings

yes there are 2 versions, first with water sensor or second vacuum principle,..vacuum is better offcourse,...
I found this video on youtube, it shows how it detects, but I dont find who is manufacturer and where to buy or even how much it costs....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xlklVg-58o

Thak you for you answer. I have seen such vacuum pumps, but I beleive that they work only for Nauticam housings. I have an Ikelite housing. Do you know if this kind of system works on Ikelite housings?

You can see some examples of installs here.

Housing Sentry Installs

I've got a Vivid Sentinel on the way to me right now. Should fit perfectly in my Sea & Sea 5d3 housing right through the bulkhead port.

Hi, I too use a Vivid Sentinel Leak detector, the V5 from Vivid Housings, on my Subal housing. My buddies use it as well on their Anthis-Nexus and Sea&Sea housings. The hand piston pump can be upgraded to an electric pump with a membrane on/off switch to prevent its being turned on accidentally.
I have used the manual syringe type pump, the pistol grip pump and now this electric pump, and the electric is my favorite.
It is a nice time saver when I am preparing my housing for a dive, in 20-30 seconds the vacuum light on my V5 Leak Detector turns green. It is so convenient that I am giving two as gifts.

IMG_4281.JPG

I'm curious about the reliability of these sensors... I ended up having the Aquatica sensor installed, but 18 months later or so, the sensor has failed three times. Each time they have replaced it, no questions asked (currently waiting on the third). Each time the symptoms have been different. The last one lasted one day before basically going into permanent alarm. Another one drained the battery in a day etc.

What I have learned is that even without the sensor, the vacuum is still handy. I tend to prep my camera the night before. I depressurize the housing and go to bed. In the morning, I flip the latches open and try to open the housing. If I can't, I am pretty confident that everything is sound...

I use one of these.

Underwater Camera Housing Leak Detector - Underwater Camera Housing Leak Detector - Home Page

Haven't had a leak, yet, so I can't comment on how quickly it would detect it or how useful such knowledge was.

That is the Australian model. The pump systems are not available for a lot of housings, especially smaller compact style. It would seem a bright blinking LED is better than "why did my camera stop working?". I've had a housing successfully spend 30" in a dunk tank (only camera in the tank, no jostling or impacts), then flood at 40 feet and 15" into the dive. This was a very trim compact so it took very little water to get to the camera.
I've also had 2 really slow leaks in much larger Oly housings and saved them. Managed to bring one up from 95', do a safety stop, and the camera was OK. Kept the lens pointed down to pool the water in that space. An LED would have given much earlier warning I think. The extra space helps with the really slow leaks, probably not with the nasty ones, but that's especially where the LED might be useful.

Last edited:
There is a third type of leak detector. Starting a dive I noticed a tiny stream of bubbles coming up from my strobe. Aborted dive. Had to get a new strobe. :-(

Back
Top Bottom