underwater camera's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Josh2934

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
does anyone have any opinions on the quality or value for price of different underwater camera brands or models? i can't find any reviews about the intova models that travelsports sells. any opinions or tips about any brands would be appreciated. thanks.

What exactly are you hoping to do with it (i.e. only stills, video as well, never to be blown up and printed etc.)? Do you have a budget in mind? How competent a photographer are you already? Are your diving skills at a level where adding a camera can be done without concern (buoyancy and situational awareness are critical to being a decent and safe underwater photographer which is why I ask this)?

You should be able to find your answer here.
Underwater Photography - ScubaBoard

I bought the Intova IC600 a couple years ago. The flash is blocked by part of the housing so the lower left quarter of the photos would not be lit. I imagine they fixed that on future models, I think they just released the IC1200.
You should be able to find reviews by now.

my price range is 400-600 bucks canadian. same as american, we just charge more for stuff. video wouldn't hurt, but pics are the big thing. i wouldn't mind some blow ups. never bigger than 8x10. i'm a competent diver. i've dove with a camera a few times before. no problems. i just don't know anything about actual photography, but i intend to learn.

What kind of conditions are you planning on doing your photography in? Are you going to be doing shipwrecks, coral, etc.? I would suggest any camera that you purchase you check to make sure that your system is "expandable" - you say $400-$600 but before long you are going to be looking at for a wide angle lens, then a strobe (or 2) then you'll be wanting to shoot in manual mode and likely want a camera that uses RAW data storage. Not necessarily in that order. I've been there, done that - and it get rather pricey rather quickly by buying things a second time since you didn't feel you needed that option the first time around.

For example - if you are going to do shipwrecks ... chances are you will want a wide angle lens fairly quickly, whereas if reef diving - a strobe is likely going to be quicker on your "wish list". If you plan on doing photography in the great lakes then you have to be more aware of "back scatter" since our waters tend to be darker at depth so you'll want a strobe quicker since the on-board flash that you often get will only increase the amount of back scatter.

I'm not overly familiar with the Intova brand - I looked at them when I first got into shooting but they seemed a little on the "flimsy" side to me and I ended up with a Sea&Sea ... more money but after figuring out what I wanted to do with my photography and adding onto my rig, I have been very happy with the results.

Back
Top Bottom