Underwater Cities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrTsunami

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I am trying to plan my next dive trip. I would like to dive another submerged city. Does anyone know of a list of such dive sites? A complete list would be appreciated, but my wife and I only do no decompression recreational diving.

Thanks,

Aaron

Not sure where you are, but if you are near the Ottawa area, there is a small submerged town north of the city called Black Donald, I believe it is in Centennial Lake, although how to get to the actual site is beyond me. Here is a website that may help you. Hope this helps your search.

http://www.magma.ca/~rgwood/sites.html

NJDevil:
For those looking at this thread. Does anyone know where the town is that is underwater from the building of a large dam?

My Bad too just saw it.

There are several towns underneath lake lanier (in georgia). Diving them is probably rather crappy though. Cold, deep and tons of fishing line to entangle you. Every summer, just about, someone drowns there and a body isn't recovered. I've been shallow in that lake and the viz is low (2-4 ft best)

ScubaSixString:
There are several towns underneath lake lanier (in georgia). Diving them is probably rather crappy though. Cold, deep and tons of fishing line to entangle you. Every summer, just about, someone drowns there and a body isn't recovered. I've been shallow in that lake and the viz is low (2-4 ft best)

i wouldnt want to dive in an underwater ghost town with bad viz and chances of stumbling into lost bodies.

Spoon:
i wouldnt want to dive in an underwater ghost town with bad viz and chances of stumbling into lost bodies.

Hence the warning :wink:

Imagine that dive log entry.....especially since you'd have to be almost touching the body to see it.....

I don't know about cities but we have several towns under Lake Martin in central Alabama. The most notable is Irma. This was the ford across Kowaliga Creek where my family amongst others took their cotton to the gins in Eclectic. According to Carla whose family owns the present gin there were up to eight gins operating in Eclectic in the 1920s. Irma had a post office which was a Frank Lloyd Wright design. Few know that Frank got a government contract to design a standard building to house post offices and service stations. Two buildings that the astute federal government knew that folks would need. There is a FLW service station on the highway south from Kowaliga and post offices in Kellyton and Nixburg. The concrete structure at Irma should still be standing. My friend the civil engineer says that at 90 feet in the Lake the water is too acidic for the wood boring worms and bacteria that attack wood so any wooden structures that were there should also be intact. One problem is that instead of cutting trees they topped the trees and tied the tops in windrows. Hard to separate a building from a pile of wood with a depth sounder. Another problem is that the water is dark and cold down there.

Another town is Susanna. Not much known here except that it would have had wooden buildings. Irma is in the part of the lake that is backwater. Susana is in the main river run and muddy.

Then there was Fort Okfuskee which was the location for the largest Creek settlement. It too is covered by main river water and the location is kind of a mystery.

We also have some gold mines that are submerged if you have the courage.

The attached picture is the standing F.L. Wright Service Station that would mirror the post office under the lake at Irma.

You can dive Atlantis if we ever find it, somewhere in the world.

Hate to burst your bubble, Six String, but there aren't any "towns" under Lake Lanier.

All of the houses that were condemned for the building of the lake were either moved or dismantled for the salvageable lumber.

About all that one can find of any of the old home sites is the occasional foundations.

Any of the small outbuildings that were left have collapsed into themsleves and present only a small pile of rubble.

the K

Back
Top Bottom