Underwater Cities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving in the Quabbin is strictly prohibited.

the K

The Kraken:
Hate to burst your bubble, Six String, but there aren't any "towns" under Lake Lanier.

All of the houses that were condemned for the building of the lake were either moved or dismantled for the salvageable lumber.

About all that one can find of any of the old home sites is the occasional foundations.

Any of the small outbuildings that were left have collapsed into themsleves and present only a small pile of rubble.

the K

Really? I was told there was an intact (whatever that means in a place that submerged for that long) movie theatre down there. But like i said...diving most of that stuff would be a rather crappy dive..... :wink:

ScubaSixString:
Really? I was told there was an intact (whatever that means in a place that submerged for that long) movie theatre down there. But like i said...diving most of that stuff would be a rather crappy dive..... :wink:

You wouldn't believe the things that I've been told that were "down there"!!!
There are several maps available that show the location of the old home sites. 6 or 7 buildings were about the most that were ever located in one given area; I don't think that would qualify as a town.

The nearest towns that would have had a theater in the years when the lake was impounded would have been Cumming or Gainesville.

It's funny, you'll hear hundreds of stories about things like the movie theater, but you'll NEVER meet anyone who's dived on it. Urban myths . . .

the K

Lake Berryesa , Northen Ca. The town of Montecllo is under there, mostly foundation but there is a full scale concreat bride under there that crosses the wiver before it was damned. I think its less than 75 feet under water. The bride must be 200 feet across.

Years ago during a big drought and the lake dried up and I was able to walk across the bridge, its all back under water now

most of the man lakes in Arkansas have old towns in them, bridges,& railroad tacks, that are US Army Corp lakes, some of the lake maps you can buy of these lakes will show these, are contact a LDS in the area. Lake Table Rock in Mo. has a large town in it that you can dive, right now the lakes are low due to no rain, also you can find Indian artifacs but remember this is federal water, and the Boggie man can get you
tham

There is supposed to be a town or at least buildings in the Lake at Lake Havasu City AZ. Do a Google to find the dive operation in town. You can also see the London Bridge above water if you care too.

http://www.aegir.no/norangsdalen/index.htm

Enjoy! It's from the Norwegian Lyngstøylvatnet. I rock slide about 100 years ago made a whole new lake. There were some farms there, and the buildings were flooded. One can still see the fences, some buildings and the road which even has a stone bridge over where there used to be a little creek. Swimthrough anyone?

Another album from the same place by photographer Per Eide: http://www.pereide.no/default.asp?menu=50

Back
Top Bottom