Underwater Cities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any Greater Philadelphia area divers familiar with the Marsh Creek resevior, in western Chester County?

Supposedly there are 'legends' of underwater structures there.

Any one dive it? Do tell............

There's suppose to be some stuff off Okinawa; a possible temple, or remnants of an ancient city. I just watched a program about it on the History channel. Several people have done some unofficial exploratory dives on it. Some said it was done by nature, others say it was created by human hands. There has yet to be a really authoritive study of the site by really knowledgable scientists. They said that on some days, the currents can really be wicked---up to 6 knots. It's the first I ever heard of this site and it sounds very interesting.

I am really disappointed…. I know of a large underwater town with a 60’ church but no one has mentioned the site on this thread. The Church steeple is about 6 feet below the surface. It is in a foreign country about 20 minuets from my wife’s Grand Parents house.

The closest full service dive shop is about 5 hours away. There is a place closer that says the will fill tanks. I don’t know how good of a fill I will get on my steel 120, but it is worth a try.

Does anyone have any experience at this site? In more than a year I have been unable to locate anyone who has dived it. Does anyone have interest?

Thanks,

Aaron

MrTsunami:
I am really disappointed…. I know of a large underwater town with a 60’ church but no one has mentioned the site on this thread. The Church steeple is about 6 feet below the surface. It is in a foreign country about 20 minuets from my wife’s Grand Parents house.

The closest full service dive shop is about 5 hours away. There is a place closer that says the will fill tanks. I don’t know how good of a fill I will get on my steel 120, but it is worth a try.

Does anyone have any experience at this site? In more than a year I have been unable to locate anyone who has dived it. Does anyone have interest?

Thanks,

Aaron

Are YOU dissappointed?! Here you have several of us writing up our info, and there you are, supposedly sitting with info on a church under water, and you're not even putting out what YOU know?

I wonder who really should be dissappointed. You or us... :huh:

WHAT site?
WHAT country?
WHAT DO YOU KNOW?!

Sorry about that. I was just trying to find out if anyone has ever dived Lake Tequesquitengo in the state of Morelos Mexico. When you are on the lake, you can see the steeple of a church which is supposed to be 60’ tall.

As history has it, the original town was built on a spring. About 100 years ago, someone was digging a pool and hit water, and the whole town sank. Now there are resorts all around the lake that pump their crap into the water, so it is a little dirty. All of the spa sites talk about scuba, but no one does it. They all recommend if you want to dive you go to the hot springs near Jojutla (The wife’s Grandparents live here. Pictures at http://aok3.com/Mexico_Trip_June_2005_2.htm ) They can fill tanks at the springs, but will not let you use their tanks, no exceptions.

Swiss Divers in Acapulco and octpumexico.com both said they would deliver tanks for my wife and me.

Email:

Tue, 31 May 2005 05:25:24 +0000

hi aaron:
this is marlene from octopusmexico.com.
We can provide you the 18 tanks, just tell us the time.
Iguess you guys want to dive in tequesquitengo. To dive in tequesquitengo you need a special permission. There are no scuba stores nearby. We need to know if you have any kind of certification.

The special permission she is talking about is from the harbor master. I have been told that there have been diving fatalities on the site by locals, but have not been able to confirm this. The best English description I have found of the lake can be found below.

http://www.buceobuceta.com.mx/derecha.htm
Not far from Las Estacas, in the same state, is Lake Tequesquitengo, where a favorite pastime of divers is exploring the submerged colonial town that was covered by the lake many decades ago. Still visible are the remains of a 17th-century church, whose steeple lies about 10 feet below the surface. There are also underwater houses, aqueduct arches and even a cemetery. Lake depth is about 60 feet, but visibility is somewhat limited (three to 10 feet).

I thought it was a well know dive site, but I have not been able to find much information about it.

Thanks,

Aaron

I did find this - "Nearby is Lake Tequesquitengo, where a favorite pastime of divers is exploring the submerged colonial town that was covered by the lake many decades ago. Still visible are the remains of a 17th-century church and even a cemetery."

I found it here - http://www.travelguidemexico.com/sys_ver_art_bol.php?art_id=167

I posted this on the other thread .... with lake levels being low now , you would be diving in about 85 ft of water...

Table Rock Lake in Southern Missouri, near Branson was form in 1958. When it was flood the small town of Oasis was abandoned and now rests in 100 ft of water. You can swim down main st. It does reqiure a boat to access it and is out in the " middle" of the lake which makes it a bit difficult, just beware of other boats.

http://www.dtmag.com/dive-usa/TableRockLakeMO.html

diverjed:
Any Greater Philadelphia area divers familiar with the Marsh Creek resevior, in western Chester County?

Supposedly there are 'legends' of underwater structures there.

Any one dive it? Do tell............
I used to fish there. I'm very interested in diving it. I've heard that you need special dispensation from DCNR in PA. I alos wonder about the conditions. It's been designated as a big bass lake. ESPN ran a couple of tournaments there. As a result you could walk across the lake hopping from bass-boat to bass-boat. I have to imagine there is a ton of monofilament down there. But, still...I wonder.

I've been looking for a "history of" or old maps of the lake but haven't found them yet

Edit: Btw, my brother caught a 4+ foot tiger muskie there about 2 months ago. He's having it mounted. It is enormous.

Back
Top Bottom